Pushing News Items

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
wrigjef

Pushing News Items

Post by wrigjef »

Our Stake has several general interest items that they ask wards to add as news items on their websites. We have not figured out a way for the news items to be "pushed" down to wards like calendar items. Right now each ward admin is having to copy text from an item on the stake website and enter it in on their own site. Is there a better way to do this? Is it possible that a future version of website software will have this feature?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

wrigjef wrote:Our Stake has several general interest items that they ask wards to add as news items on their websites. We have not figured out a way for the news items to be "pushed" down to wards like calendar items. Right now each ward admin is having to copy text from an item on the stake website and enter it in on their own site. Is there a better way to do this? Is it possible that a future version of website software will have this feature?
By default a stake administrator has access to all the wards in the stake and can post news items, calendar events, etc. The stake has the same access as the ward admin. However, if the ward admin has removed the stake admin as an administrator of the ward site, then the stake will have to work through the wards.

I'm not aware of any features such as this on the new sites that are being worked on - yet.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:However, if the ward admin has removed the stake admin as an administrator of the ward site, then the stake will have to work through the wards.
There is a way to fix that, but it requires two stake admins. Remove the first admin, then have the second stake admin add them back in. That will give the first admin rights to the ward websites.

Of course you'll also need to admonish the ward admins not to remove the stake admins.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

It sounds to me as if even with a state admin having the ability to post news items to ward sites, if he had a common news item for all wards he still would be submitting the item separately to each site. I know with calendar items the stake admin can just simply click boxes next to each unit and have the event appear on all unit calendars, I was just wondering if the same functionality were being considered for news items.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:It sounds to me as if even with a state admin having the ability to post news items to ward sites, if he had a common news item for all wards he still would be submitting the item separately to each site.
That's correct -- the only option now is to put the item on each ward's site separately.
wrigjef wrote:I know with calendar items the stake admin can just simply click boxes next to each unit and have the event appear on all unit calendars, I was just wondering if the same functionality were being considered for news items.
I'm sure nothing will be done to the functionality of the current site. We haven't heard anything about the News and Information capability of the new site, except that it should come sometime in 2011.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”