Please fix Bounced Mail Bug in current version of LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

mkmurray wrote:I think bhoffman's question was geared more to how a user can be registered on the site without an email address, and the ramifications of flagging it as "bad" or not.
Mike is correct, I was voicing my wishful thinking that I could have an account without email being required. The user is elderly and has no interest in ever using email but asked me to help her get an account to LUWS.

However, James suggestion is a good one. I could even set up a free account somewhere that she never uses. It would eliminate the bounced email messages that we get complaints on.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bhofmann wrote:I could even set up a free account somewhere that she never uses. It would eliminate the bounced email messages that we get complaints on.
You'd need to find one that stays permanent. I know most free sites will drop the name if no one logs in for a period of time. I think for Hotmail it's between 30 to 90 days.
hpaulsen

Post by hpaulsen »

RussellHltn wrote:You'd need to find one that stays permanent. I know most free sites will drop the name if no one logs in for a period of time. I think for Hotmail it's between 30 to 90 days.
If you know someone with their own website, you can ask them to set up a dummy account.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

Hmmmmm, I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks for the feedback.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Just make sure that the dummy account emptys the inbox regularly or you might just end up with more bounces from a full mailbox or disabled account.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the simplest answer is just tell her to input your email address - and then don't subscribe to any emails and don't show it on the website. I doubt if the system checks for duplicates.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

If a fix is in store that would request an updated email address on login, then perhaps a "no email address" option could be included in that update.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

scion wrote:If a fix is in store that would request an updated email address on login, then perhaps a "no email address" option could be included in that update.

Actually besides announements why are emails required? Since even the password recovery system doesn't send anything to the email address.
- David
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

thedqs wrote:Just make sure that the dummy account emptys the inbox regularly or you might just end up with more bounces from a full mailbox or disabled account.
RussellHltn wrote:I think the simplest answer is just tell her to input your email address - and then don't subscribe to any emails and don't show it on the website. I doubt if the system checks for duplicates.

These are great ideas! Thanks!
scion wrote:If a fix is in store that would request an updated email address on login, then perhaps a "no email address" option could be included in that update.
This is what I was thinking. The email address is not integral to the system or features except the notifications.
tebbs-p40

Permissions forwebsite administrator or ward clerk

Post by tebbs-p40 »

I think the best fix for the problem would be to allow the website administrator or ward clerk to change the individual's email address.

Right now the ward clerk can enter/edit a one email address per house hold through MLS, but that email address is not reflected in the LUWS membership directory. To implement the change in the next version of MLS and LUWS just allow each member to have an email address and publish that email address to the LUWS membership directory. (Phone numbers for each member would also be nice because of cell phones).

This change not only fixes the bounced emails issue, but also enables members with accounts set up to communicate with those who do not have them set up. It is hard to get some members out to church and trying to get all members of the ward to create an account is near impossible. I also think members would be more likely to set up an account if they first received an emailed announcement or calendar event. This way would enable members and leaders to better reach out and fellowship those who are less involved.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”