Please fix Bounced Mail Bug in current version of LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
ShirtsDre

Resources for solution implementation are limited.

Post by ShirtsDre »

tomw wrote:I'm sorry it is not getting done as quickly as possible. All of our resources are busy working on projects of more importance as defined by our leadership. Hopefully we will be able to get some time to fix some of these issues before the next release is started.

Tom
Tom is absolutely right. The LUWS project is only one of many applications I and others support simultaneously. The time involvement for each resource for each project is heavily prioritized and I don't get as much time as I would like to work on LUWS issues as I do with other higher prioritized projects.

This issue has been reported to the development team and is being investigated as to the best way to implement several email related issue solutions within a small development time window.

The current workaround or solution is to use the "registered users" section in the ward admin tool to administer changes necessary with email notifications. If an email gets returned to you as undeliverable, you can find that email in the list as well as the member's name and username. Use the "disable user account" checkbox to disable the user from email notifications. You will then no longer get bounced emails back from that user because you will no longer send emails to that user.

I realize the grand scale of having to administer a large bounce list, but in theory, it may be much like editing a blacklist: The first few times you administer it can take forever, but the time to manage it reduces quickly as less and less unwanted emails get to you. So the initial surge of returned emails may be large, but as you disable these accounts from email notifications, the number of returned emails will be reduced for future email submissions each time you disable newly bounced emails.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
jworkin-p40

Post by jworkin-p40 »

BillyBoJimBob wrote: The current workaround or solution is to use the "registered users" section in the ward admin tool to administer changes necessary with email notifications. If an email gets returned to you as undeliverable, you can find that email in the list as well as the member's name and username. Use the "disable user account" checkbox to disable the user from email notifications. You will then no longer get bounced emails back from that user because you will no longer send emails to that user.
Will "disabling" the user account prevent that user from being able to login to the system? I know some of my users have bad email addresses, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't want to be able to access the directory online or other information that we keep there.
ShirtsDre

Disabling users blocks them from email broadcast AND signin.

Post by ShirtsDre »

jworkin wrote:Will "disabling" the user account prevent that user from being able to login to the system? I know some of my users have bad email addresses, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't want to be able to access the directory online or other information that we keep there.
Disabling a user account will hide the user from all email lists AND will not let the user log in.

The intent is to get the user's attemtion and to alleviate bounced emails. Yes, this can be done other ways, but this is how it was originally implemented. The user is alerted when they attempt to sign on that their account is disabled and that they need to contact their administrator. Until the admin re-enables their account, the user will not be able to log back in.

The alternative to disabling the user's account is to contact the user directly (By phone or in person), inform them of the bad email address and to request that they immediately sign in and change their email address to a current one. If they do not change their bad email address to a good one, the admin will still get bounced emails from that user.

The ability for admins to directly alter the user's email address is not an available option. This is considered a private item the user needs to change themselves.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Something that would be nice is to allow the admin to flag accounts with bad email addresses. The flagged accounts would not receive any emails, and if the user logged in, it would force them to re-enter the email address.

This has the advantage over the current system in that the user doesn't have to track down an admin to get access again.
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

RussellHltn wrote:Something that would be nice is to allow the admin to flag accounts with bad email addresses. The flagged accounts would not receive any emails, and if the user logged in, it would force them to re-enter the email address.

This has the advantage over the current system in that the user doesn't have to track down an admin to get access again.
I will submit this as an improvement request. Most likely, this improvement would not get released until the redesign is started and deployed, but submitting it will help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:I will submit this as an improvement request.
Thanks! :)
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:I will submit this as an improvement request. Most likely, this improvement would not get released until the redesign is started and deployed, but submitting it will help.

I have submitted this for the next release. It doesn't qualify as a break fix or an urgent need, so at least it is documented as an official new feature request for the LUWS rewrite.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

I have a member who wanted access to LUWS but didn't have an email address. I know this is extremely strange and rare. It would be great to be able to flag the account as a bad email address but with the above suggestion, we still have our problem. What about just flagging the account but not forcing a change on log in?

My situation might be too rare to worry about but I thought I would bring it up.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

All one would have to do for an email address, which they could check at the library or wherever they could get online, would get a freemail address. Thousands of freemail websites are all over the web, so there is usually a good one for this type of thing. With some you don't need another email address first, wiith others that is a requirement, so look at what the address setup pages say first.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

JamesAnderson wrote:All one would have to do for an email address, which they could check at the library or wherever they could get online, would get a freemail address. Thousands of freemail websites are all over the web, so there is usually a good one for this type of thing. With some you don't need another email address first, wiith others that is a requirement, so look at what the address setup pages say first.
I don't think he was asking how can the user obtain an email address. It could be the particular user doesn't want to own an email address or perhaps doesn't have enough technical know-how to own an email address, etc.

I think bhoffman's question was geared more to how a user can be registered on the site without an email address, and the ramifications of flagging it as "bad" or not.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”