Calendars on Unit Web Sites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

grhart wrote: I understand Outlook 2007 users have this ability too, though someone should confirm.
Yes you can subscribe to calendars in Outlook 2007 and it has a similiar feel to the google calendars with overlaying or side by side comparision.
I also wish to second the ability to subscribe to the ward calendar. This could be done similiar to how google does it with a private key generated for each user that allows them access the sites services without having the programs to authenticate with username and password, they just use the private-key.
grhart wrote: I imagine the general ward membership isn't so interested in such proximity to the ward calendar, but Stake Leaders, Bishoprics and PEC folks could have a read-only version of the ward calendar on their desktop computer that is allways up-to-date, and can be taken with them when synced with their laptop, cell phone, iPod or whatever.

-Greg
I think the general membership should be closely tied with the calendar. We just need more members and leaders submitting calendar items to it. (eg. The next canning, Boy scout pack meeting, ward temple night, ward social, etc.) And with the syncing software the members will be able to see when events are and plan ahead.
- David
jp78

Post by jp78 »

One thing I would like to see with the calendar is a better "print" view. My wife edits a monthly newsletter for our ward. One item we include in the newsletter is a printout of the calendar for the month (which we print out from the web site). I find that the printed calendar is slightly annoying (not really anything wrong with it, I just don't like how it looks... the boxes for the days are not all the same size/shape, for example, the lines are not dark enough so we have to darken them with a pen before copying, etc.). It contains great information and the stake and ward leadership are great about updating the online calendar with the relevant events, but it doesn't look nice when printed.
Pete

Post by Pete »

jlp wrote:One thing I would like to see with the calendar is a better "print" view.
have you tried importing the ical file into a program that has better output capabilities? I know it isn't perfect, but may be the best way to deal with the problem for now.

Has anyone successfully imported into calendar creator? Others?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I have imported the iCal into Outlook 2007, which has a nice calendar with task list print out (for the individual), or just a calendar.
- David
ojm-p40

Calendar Printing

Post by ojm-p40 »

We NEEEEEED a way to print an entire year's calendar! It's a major pain to go to one month, print the calendar, go to the next, print, etc. Also, would be nice if we could format the print to take up all of an 8-1/2 by 11 sheet of paper (makes the blanks bigger).

Cheers,
Owen
ojm-p40

General Membership calendar access

Post by ojm-p40 »

thedqs wrote: I think the general membership should be closely tied with the calendar. We just need more members and leaders submitting calendar items to it. (eg. The next canning, Boy scout pack meeting, ward temple night, ward social, etc.) And with the syncing software the members will be able to see when events are and plan ahead.
The general membership do not all have computers! Those over about 50 are mostly afraid of computers and the Internet (for good reason -- If you don't have a firewall, and the expertise to set it up, and a virus scanner, etc., etc., etc.).

Cheers,
Owen
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I think you are right, we do need a way to have a whole year's worth of events up, that's simply how most wards and stakes do it these days, although maybe not always.

First the stake comes up with theirs, showing when leadership meetings, priesthood meetings, stake conference, girls camp, etc., are, then the wards draw up their calendars based on factors such as their meeting times, mutual night times, enrichment meeting, etc., are scheduled.

And to overlay that, the general Church calendar, which would show such things as General Conference, Worldwide Leadership Training, CES firesides, YW and RS General meetings, and some other events would be.

On the software side, templating maybe using software in a manner similar but different from my idea on building scheduling (see that thread) could be used. That's apples and oranges anyway, but the general premise of templating may work for both once the issue of what language(s) to program it in are hammered out.
ojm-p40

Printing A Year's worth of calendar

Post by ojm-p40 »

JamesAnderson wrote:I think you are right, we do need a way to have a whole year's worth of events up, that's simply how most wards and stakes do it these days, although maybe not always.

First the stake comes up with theirs, showing when leadership meetings, priesthood meetings, stake conference, girls camp, etc., are, then the wards draw up their calendars based on factors such as their meeting times, mutual night times, enrichment meeting, etc., are scheduled.

And to overlay that, the general Church calendar, which would show such things as General Conference, Worldwide Leadership Training, CES firesides, YW and RS General meetings, and some other events would be.

On the software side, templating maybe using software in a manner similar but different from my idea on building scheduling (see that thread) could be used. That's apples and oranges anyway, but the general premise of templating may work for both once the issue of what language(s) to program it in are hammered out.

Maybe something like outputting the calendar data to a program like Calendar Creator? Or some other calendar program (open source?) that's available.

Owen
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

ojm wrote:The general membership do not all have computers! Those over about 50 are mostly afraid of computers and the Internet (for good reason -- If you don't have a firewall, and the expertise to set it up, and a virus scanner, etc., etc., etc.).

Cheers,
Owen
Well from most of the wards I have been it, 90% of them (of those 12 and over) have internet access and are at least able to do basic internet tasks. I have been in many techy wards but even then, most of the upcoming generation don't really know anything besides the internet.

I don't know what the turn-around will be for our suggestions but I believe that they should at least be put on the radar for imporvements. (Anyway while the demand is small don't we want to work all the bugs out. :D)
- David
ojm-p40

Post by ojm-p40 »

Yes, those over 12 (and under about 50) know and use the Internet pretty extensively. Those over 50 are still about 70% unconnected. In a ward like ours that means about half the ward does not have Internet access. Kind of tough to rely on an online calendar when half the people can't get to it. Also, when sitting in PEC or Ward Council, the calendar is safely out of reach on the Internet.... We need a way to get to the Church Website from the ward computer (NOT complete access to the Internet, just the ward/stake units website)....

Owen

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”