tithing settlement as a "ward resource" to schedule?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:Perhaps I'll add this to the LUWS enhancements section.
Why limit it to tithing settlement? How about Temple Recommend interviews and general meetings with the Bishop?

The Bishop sets the block of time he's available and members can sign up for it. Just like the sign-up sheets.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

In my ward, if the person was single or if the person was a known, active member with a wife or husband, the appointment usually went five minutes, just long enough to declare one's status and make any last minute notes where needed on the settlement printout.

Families often took 15 minutes.

For other interviews, temple recommends usually for most active adults are commonly scheduled for 15 minutes, if someone requests a more full-fledged appointment for other matters, such as getting counsel, or calling-related interviews that can sometimes take longer (other than extending calls), they often schedule for 30 minutes.

Recap:

Tithing settlement, active single or couple: 5 Min
Tithing settlement, family or other need: 15 min
Temple recommend renewal: 15 minutes (generallly)
General bishop interviews, counseling: 30 minutes.

Local conditions may result in variances in the timeframes above, so it should not be a hard and fast rule. However, resource scheduling within a ward should account for most common timeframe scheduling options.

Basically, timeframes should be 5, 15, and 30 minutes, allow for scheduling by the bishop or executive secretary of multiple blocks for the same person to create more custom interview time duration.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

RussellHltn wrote:Why limit it to tithing settlement? How about Temple Recommend interviews and general meetings with the Bishop?

The Bishop sets the block of time he's available and members can sign up for it. Just like the sign-up sheets.
This is a handy idea, but I would stress the need for confidentiality. When we're talking about something as routine (and benign) as tithing settlement, it isn't too big a deal if all the ward members can see who is scheduled.

But, for instance, a couple who is coming to the bishop regularly for counseling with respect to their marriage might be better served not to have their name appearing repeatedly on a ward-accessible calendar.

If one were to use the resource calendar to schedule time for the bishop, I might suggest marking time slots as "Available" or "Reserved" and putting the name of the individual in the administrator comments.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

JamesAnderson wrote:In my ward, if the person was single or if the person was a known, active member with a wife or husband, the appointment usually went five minutes, just long enough to declare one's status and make any last minute notes where needed on the settlement printout.

Families often took 15 minutes.

For other interviews, temple recommends usually for most active adults are commonly scheduled for 15 minutes, if someone requests a more full-fledged appointment for other matters, such as getting counsel, or calling-related interviews that can sometimes take longer (other than extending calls), they often schedule for 30 minutes.

Recap:

Tithing settlement, active single or couple: 5 Min
Tithing settlement, family or other need: 15 min
Temple recommend renewal: 15 minutes (generallly)
General bishop interviews, counseling: 30 minutes.

Local conditions may result in variances in the timeframes above, so it should not be a hard and fast rule. However, resource scheduling within a ward should account for most common timeframe scheduling options.

Basically, timeframes should be 5, 15, and 30 minutes, allow for scheduling by the bishop or executive secretary of multiple blocks for the same person to create more custom interview time duration.
Not a bad idea. Unfortunately, the new LUC breaks into 15 minute increments. Looks like the 15 minute design is one we'll have to work with for a while.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Someone mentioned the need for confidentiality, I think that would be covered, here's one way.

The area for scheduling appointments with bishops would not say who the person was who scheduled on the public-facing side. Instead, a label with a word like 'Taken' or another appropriate synonym, would fill in the spot for that time period.

Example:

7:00 TAKEN
7:15 Available, click to schedule
7:30 TAKEN
7:45 TAKEN
8:00 Available, click to schedule

Only those leaders, e.g. bishop, executive secretary, that needed to see the names would actually see that info.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RussellHltn wrote:Why limit it to tithing settlement? How about Temple Recommend interviews and general meetings with the Bishop?
The hope is that if they re-work the "resource scheduling" a bit, resources would become anything we need to schedule, and really could have unlimited uses! Elders or RS home teaching PPI's sign-ups? Scout Board of review appointments, blood donation volunteer sign-ups? Clerks office MLS computer reservations?

We would need more flexibility with time slots and labeling, and attention to privacy.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

i don't like to rush my tithing settlement interviews - as for me, in some cases it's the longest I get to speak to someone in the whole year! I like to quickly review the tithes and offerings side of things, and then move on to express gratitue for their faithfulness & service that year - and then extend words of counsel and encouragement.

I would say that 10-15mins is the minimum.
nihonjin

Post by nihonjin »

JamesAnderson wrote:Someone mentioned the need for confidentiality, I think that would be covered, here's one way.

The area for scheduling appointments with bishops would not say who the person was who scheduled on the public-facing side. Instead, a label with a word like 'Taken' or another appropriate synonym, would fill in the spot for that time period.

Example:

7:00 TAKEN
7:15 Available, click to schedule
7:30 TAKEN
7:45 TAKEN
8:00 Available, click to schedule

Only those leaders, e.g. bishop, executive secretary, that needed to see the names would actually see that info.

I would love to see something like this developed by the church specifically for scheduling interviews. It exists for businesses and would allow Bishoprics, Stake Presidencies to easily see how busy they were as i often get asked what there schedules are looking like later in the month(currently im serving as Stake Exec Sec). I would personally leave it open to members to book only for TR interviews and all others still to go through the exec sec as often members don't know the length of time to book for. We also use 15min time slots for adult TR renewals.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

nutterb wrote:Not a bad idea. Unfortunately, the new LUC breaks into 15 minute increments. Looks like the 15 minute design is one we'll have to work with for a while.
Actually, in the new calendar, you can schedule appts. for as little as 1 minute if you want. There is a bug currently that messes up the display of such short events, but scheduling them is as trivial as manually entering the start and end times (just make sure you get the format correct).
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jdcr256 wrote:Actually, in the new calendar, you can schedule appts. for as little as 1 minute if you want. There is a bug currently that messes up the display of such short events, but scheduling them is as trivial as manually entering the start and end times (just make sure you get the format correct).
While this feature may be welcome, I think it would be more helpful if bishoprics (and their secretaries) were able to enumerate available time slots, from which the members could then request an interview time slot for an appointment. Perhaps the member could suggest how long of a time slot they feel they need, while allowing the bishop to then modify that length of time if necessary.

Another idea could be to have the member send a notification to the bishop and/or secretary that they would like to request an interview. Then a reply could be sent with several timeslots for the member to choose from.

Just a few ideas that, in my opinion, more closely mirror how actual appointment scheduling seems to go nowadays.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”