Outbound Email communications - aliases

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
cperona-p40

Outbound Email communications - aliases

Post by cperona-p40 »

On the Stake level we are constantly emailing to various groups of individuals; e.g. all high priest group leaders, elders quorum presidents and presidencies, ward bulletin reps, primary presidents and presidencies and the high council etc.

I would like to recommend that we have the ability to set up email aliases that group these individuals into a single list. Then we can mail, for example, to "hpgl@mystake.com" and have the message go to all the high priest group leaders that are listed on the units sites.

This would put pressure on the units to keep their leadership roster's up to date. It would also encourage more direct use of the unit websites.

I am on the High Council and have been a Bishop and am an advocate of technology to make it easier to minister rather than administer Church services. My expertise is in change management and technology adoption. Unless we can get the users to have a meaningful experience the sites will always been seen as a place to play rather than work. We must put the site into the workflow of the members.

Right now the Administrators can send emails to various groups, but it would be nice to have leadership be able to do the same.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

cperona,

In our stake the stake president mandated the use of the stake and ward websites. They required leaders to put their info online and then did away with the stake directory.

There was some pushback about the stake directory but it has become a valuable tool for scheduling and email broadcasts.

The big issue is that even while email addresses are in use not everyone uses them to the same degree for communication.

Most ward members (non-leaders) still do not use the website simply for lack of content. The other HUGE issue is they often cannot get meaningful userids and as such forget them. I am hoping that someday soon the church will replace userids with email addresses.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

enriquer wrote: I am hoping that someday soon the church will replace userids with email addresses.
For some people that would work very well. For other people, that could cause a problem where the husband and wife use the same email address, which in our ward, I can think of a few that do that and don't have their own email addresses. Also, sometimes children use their parents' email address as well. If there could be a way where one email address could have multiple passwords, 1 for each user, I suppose it could work but I don't know if that's possible.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

Margiestroble,

Yep, the single email households are clearly disadvantaged either way. Everytime there is an email broadcast they'd get numerous copies of the same email. Good thing free email addresses are everywhere now.

Having to manage / keep track of user ids for every site you subscribe to is a thing of the past. The way of the future (ala Web 2.x) is email addresses for user ids.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”