Changes to LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Changes to LUWS

Postby jdlessley » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:07 am

Today I noticed a change in the font format for many of the LUWS pages. It was immediately noticeable on unit home pages. It appears that the font has changed or at least been reduced in size. Oddly enough though the part of the home pages in which the font, or font size, has not changed is the unit address and phone number section. There is no font change for any of the calendars as far as I can tell.

Has anybody else noticed this?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20778
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:38 am

I see it too. Makes the page look odd with text too small for the space alloted.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
ajames
New Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:36 pm
Location: Wayne, PA
Contact:

Postby ajames » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:47 pm

I only notice the difference with internet explorer. Firefox seems to parse the page just fine.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:02 pm

ajames wrote:I only notice the difference with internet explorer. Firefox seems to parse the page just fine.


Thanks for pointing out that it might be a distinction between browsers.

However, it looks fine to me even with Internet Explorer 7, and I see no change for Firefox 3. What version of IE are you all using?

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:21 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:Thanks for pointing out that it might be a distinction between browsers.

However, it looks fine to me even with Internet Explorer 7, and I see no change for Firefox 3. What version of IE are you all using?

There seems to be a pretty big difference in how IE8 will render a page than IE7, so it wouldn't surprise me if 8 is the culprit.

IE8 has the ability to render a page in it's new "standards compliant" IE 8 mode or in a compatibility mode for IE7 rendering. This can be triggered by the web server, web page itself, or even a separate, updatable compatibility list that Microsoft can continually update through Windows Update.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2030
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Postby eblood66 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:47 pm

mkmurray wrote:There seems to be a pretty big difference in how IE8 will render a page than IE7, so it wouldn't surprise me if 8 is the culprit.

IE8 has the ability to render a page in it's new "standards compliant" IE 8 mode or in a compatibility mode for IE7 rendering. This can be triggered by the web server, web page itself, or even a separate, updatable compatibility list that Microsoft can continually update through Windows Update.


I'm seeing the same difference between IE and FF. I've got IE 8.0.6001.18702 and FF 3.5.1.

The page does not have a DOCTYPE declaration so IE should be rendering in quirks mode which even in IE8 should render the same as IE7 (but you never know). Since there is no DOCTYPE declaration IE8 isn't even offering the choice between IE 8 standards compliant mode and IE7 compatibility mode for me.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20778
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:34 pm

I'm running IE8 just as I have been since it went out to general release. So I'd say the culprit is some change that someone made.

I don't see a "compatibility mode" icon on LUWS. I'm not sure what that means. But even if I add lds.org to the compatibility mode list, it doesn't change anything.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:37 pm

I noticed the changes on IE8. I also use FF - but rarely. I have been using IE8 for several weeks and it displayed the LUWS pages in the 'normal' font until just recently. Something must have been changed for the the font size to change.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
ShirtsDre
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:53 am
Location: Utah
Contact:

IE7 to IE8 compatibility

Postby ShirtsDre » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:50 pm

In order to allow more time to gracefully update legacy sites like LUWS from IE7 compatibility to IE8 the following meta tag was inserted into each page's head section:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2030
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Postby eblood66 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:28 pm

BillyBoJimBob wrote:In order to allow more time to gracefully update legacy sites like LUWS from IE7 compatibility to IE8 the following meta tag was inserted into each page's head section:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />


That's the problem then. The LUWS home page is obviously designed to render in quirks mode (it doesn't have a DOCTYPE declaration at the top). By adding the X-UA-Compatible meta tag with a value of IE=7 you've forced IE8 to render the page in IE7 standards mode instead.

The appropriate change would be to include the <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" /> tag instead. Then each page will render in either quirks mode or IE7 standards mode depending on the DOCTYPE of the page. See this IEBlog article for more information: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/06/10/introducing-ie-emulateie7.aspx


Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest