AP Quorum Presidents in LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
james_francisco

AP Quorum Presidents in LUWS

Post by james_francisco »

One of the wards in our stake has published the names of their Aaronic Priesthood quorum presidents in the ward leadership section if LUWS. I've got reservations about this because of youth protection issues. Is there any church policy about publishing youth names in the leadership sections?

James Francisco
STS
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

James_Francisco wrote:One of the wards in our stake has published the names of their Aaronic Priesthood quorum presidents in the ward leadership section if LUWS. I've got reservations about this because of youth protection issues. Is there any church policy about publishing youth names in the leadership sections?

James Francisco
STS
Leadership pages are not visible to anyone outside of your stake. No one without a LUWS login from your stake will ever be able to see that page.

Does that sufficiently answer your concerns about policy?
james_francisco

Post by james_francisco »

In all honesty, not really. I'm well aware of the security controls and the effort that has been made to make them workable. I'm also aware of at least one good argument involving their possession of keys of presidency for posting the quorum presidents as part of the YM leadership. But, relying on the authentication system alone presupposes that all of the members of a stake are without ulterior motives. Tragically, that is not always the case.

I'm coming from the more restrictive policy that is common in a lot of BSA councils of never publishing last names and contact information of youth members. There's a principle of better safe than sorry there. As a group, our stake clerk, executive secretary, and I wonder if that concept should be extended to this situation.
mkmurray wrote:Leadership pages are not visible to anyone outside of your stake. No one without a LUWS login from your stake will ever be able to see that page.

Does that sufficiently answer your concerns about policy?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You have some valid concerns. Perhaps you should be discussing this with local priesthood leaders. In the case of the ward that published the information, was there approval from the bishop to do this? Voicing your concerns to him would be an appropriate step to take.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

By default, the names of all children are shown in the Membership Directory. Anyone with access to the Leadership Directory will also have access to the Membership Directory. The only difference is that it's not clear what the ages are in the Membership area.

I don't think there's a problem with having a more restrictive policy, but if there's any church policy on this I'm unaware of it. The closest I know of is the directive to keep youth activities off the front page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

James_Francisco wrote:In all honesty, not really. I'm well aware of the security controls and the effort that has been made to make them workable. I'm also aware of at least one good argument involving their possession of keys of presidency for posting the quorum presidents as part of the YM leadership. But, relying on the authentication system alone presupposes that all of the members of a stake are without ulterior motives. Tragically, that is not always the case.

I'm coming from the more restrictive policy that is common in a lot of BSA councils of never publishing last names and contact information of youth members. There's a principle of better safe than sorry there. As a group, our stake clerk, executive secretary, and I wonder if that concept should be extended to this situation.
This restrictive policy would lead to the conclusion that no youth names should be shown in any ward directory. This is certainly an area where local priesthood leaders should be able to make a determination that is appropriate to your stake and circumstance.

In addition to knowing who all the minor children are in the stake, there are two pieces of additional information available to a general stake member that come through publishing the Youth AP Presidencies on the Leadership page: (1) The approximate age of the young man, and (2) the fact that the young man holds a specific leadership position in the Aaronic Priesthood.

Local leaders should decide if these two additional pieces of information should be protected or not. They should decide the question in general concerning letting anyone in the stake know the names, addresses, and phone numbers of those who are younger than 18.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

James_Francisco wrote:One of the wards in our stake has published the names of their Aaronic Priesthood quorum presidents in the ward leadership section if LUWS. I've got reservations about this because of youth protection issues. Is there any church policy about publishing youth names in the leadership sections?

This might answer your question. It's from the Help section of the Administrator Options in the Ward Website.

Q. What types of callings can I add as "other" under each of the leadership categories?
A. Callings that are not listed in the local unit Web site (such as sports officials, cultural arts directors, single member representatives, and so forth) and other special callings may be added to the leadership directory when directed by your priesthood leader.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”