Photographs on Unit Websites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 25704
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Fri May 04, 2007 11:45 am

Peredhil wrote:For now we may sign up for a Flickr or Photobucket account.


My recommendation is to have the members create their own accounts and not to create a "ward" account just to avoid any potential issues.

User avatar
thedqs
Community Moderators
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:53 am
Location: Redmond, WA
Contact:

Postby thedqs » Fri May 04, 2007 10:47 pm

RussellHltn wrote:My recommendation is to have the members create their own accounts and not to create a "ward" account just to avoid any potential issues.


Agreed, the reason why the ward sponsered web sites were taken off line was because of the legal repercussions due to distributing private information about people INCLUDING photographs. So if you have your own account and it doesn't reference the church (except maybe in the event place) then you can use it, just remember that you are posting them, not the church or the ward.
- David

jworkin-p40
New Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:34 pm

Postby jworkin-p40 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:58 pm

rickety wrote: The neat thing is, the photograph goes with the member when they move wards.


Is this something that still happens? I've been running our site for a few months now, and was helping with it before that (we have really high turnover) and have yet to see anyone's record come in with a photo attached. I remember a few years ago that it would do that, but I haven't seen it at all lately.

User avatar
childsdj
Community Moderators
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:51 am

Postby childsdj » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:11 pm

Church Headquarters does not keep a database of members pictures. If a picture is posted in a unit and the member moves to another ward, the picture does not go along with the membership record.

rickety
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:01 am
Location: Kaysville, Utah

Postby rickety » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:20 pm

DJC wrote:Church Headquarters does not keep a database of members pictures. If a picture is posted in a unit and the member moves to another ward, the picture does not go along with the membership record.


I took a picture of a member and loaded it on our ward unit website. They moved out of the ward. When I learned that they had moved into another ward in our stake I searched for their name. The picture that I had taken now showed up in the new ward along with their new address.

It was a few years ago though, so perhaps we could say headquarters used to keep a database but for some reason removed that functionality.

pulliae
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:35 pm

Postby pulliae » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:56 pm

www.smugmug.com is not free but much much better...you can also password protect galleries so that google will not see your ward youth activities...etc...
I wouldn't want pictures of my children showing up on google,yahoo,etc for everyone to ...

fyi...smugmug is also owned by an LDS family...[INDENT] <quote>[INDENT]Were you aware that Smugmug is owned by an LDS family? The majority of our employees are also members of the Church.

All the best,
Toni
[/INDENT]</quote>
[/INDENT]<insert a little dreaming here>

if we could link pictures from a third party like this into our ward website :)

the church makes a deal with smugmug...:)

maybe each ward could purchase their own account... and the ward admin could then upload pictures and link to ward website....
maybe a discount price for all the wards...if not...i'm sure that most wards could fit 39.95 a year into their budget...

then the church will not have to get into the picture sharing/storing business...:cool:

i think the limit is much larger than 180x135 too...for the pro account it is like 8MB per picture...so you should be able to fit more than three family members in a picture.

at the present we do as suggested earlier...an individual has an account and shares pictures with the ward via email/etc...but not connected to the ward web site...:(

User avatar
thedqs
Community Moderators
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:53 am
Location: Redmond, WA
Contact:

Postby thedqs » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:44 pm

rickety wrote:I took a picture of a member and loaded it on our ward unit website. They moved out of the ward. When I learned that they had moved into another ward in our stake I searched for their name. The picture that I had taken now showed up in the new ward along with their new address.


It might be that in the stake the picture is transfered (since anyone in a stake can access anyone's picture) but the moment it leaves the stake it is gone.
- David

atticusewig
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:48 am

Postby atticusewig » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:34 am

thedqs wrote:It might be that in the stake the picture is transfered (since anyone in a stake can access anyone's picture) but the moment it leaves the stake it is gone.


Has anyone tested picture rentention with move-backs ?

For example, let's say that a college student gets their picture
posted on the website, then the record moves to their college
ward, then during the summer their record moves back -
Will the photo magically re-appear ?

We have so few people in our ward who even bother with
the photos, that I haven't been able to test this first-hand.

Thanks,
Atticus Ewig

User avatar
thedqs
Community Moderators
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:53 am
Location: Redmond, WA
Contact:

Postby thedqs » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:05 pm

From personal experence the image is erased when you move out of stake even if you return later.
- David

scion-p40
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:56 pm

Postby scion-p40 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:13 pm

atticusewig wrote:Has anyone tested picture rentention with move-backs ?

For example, let's say that a college student gets their picture
posted on the website, then the record moves to their college
ward, then during the summer their record moves back -
Will the photo magically re-appear ?

We have so few people in our ward who even bother with
the photos, that I haven't been able to test this first-hand.

Thanks,
Atticus Ewig


My daughter moved from one tech saavy YSA ward to a non-techie YSA ward. Her picture did not go with her. When she returned to the techie ward for the summer, they immediately took her picture once more.


Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest