Photographs on Unit Websites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
rickety

Photographs on Unit Websites

Post by rickety »

Since the photograph resolution has been reduced to 180 pixels wide and 135 pixels high for the website membership directory I have found this is just too small to show a family photo and hence its use has been discontinued. It is sufficient resolution for a missionary because it is only one person.

Possible solutions:

1. Discontinue the membership directory photographs.
2. Increase the number of pixels allowed back to what it used to be.
3. Allow any pixel size up to the current 50 Kb file size limit.
4. Ignore me and I might go away. ;)
5. Leave as is.
6. Just have one or two family members in the photo.
7. Wait for version 2 of the websites.
8. Some other solution.

I think you all do great work, thank you for your efforts, it is very much appreciated.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

I haven't had any success in getting members to use the photo options. What percentage of your online users upload photographs? What has been done to encourage its use?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

bhofmann wrote:I haven't had any success in getting members to use the photo options. What percentage of your online users upload photographs? What has been done to encourage its use?
Everywhere I have been (which for last few years has been only student wards and young married wards) has had one or two individuals who would take pictures after church for a few weeks. They would make an announcement for all families to get their picture taken afterward.

Considering the high rate of turnover in both these kinds of wards, it really worked pretty well.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

mkmurray wrote:Everywhere I have been (which for last few years has been only student wards and young married wards) has had one or two individuals who would take pictures after church for a few weeks. They would make an announcement for all families to get their picture taken afterward.

Considering the high rate of turnover in both these kinds of wards, it really worked pretty well.
That's a good idea. I'm in a family ward but there are several times a year we take pictures. Also, like you suggested we could do it after church.
rickety

Post by rickety »

bhofmann wrote:I haven't had any success in getting members to use the photo options. What percentage of your online users upload photographs? What has been done to encourage its use?
In my stake, only an administrator can upload photographs. The neat thing is, the photograph goes with the member when they move wards. I wouldn't do it this way again, but a few years ago, whoever showed up for tithing settlement had their picture taken, if they wanted it. Ahh... the good old days of plentiful pixels...:)
mkmurray

Tithing Settlement

Post by mkmurray »

rickety wrote:...whoever showed up for tithing settlement had their picture taken...
We want better attendance at tithing settlement, not worse! Just kidding...

I think that's actually a pretty good suggestion, you'll catch many of the members that way.
pmouritsen-p40

Post by pmouritsen-p40 »

I just take my camera to church every week and get a picture of whoever I can grab.

The photos are a little small for families, particularly large families. They are OK with up to 3 people if they stand really close together.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rickety wrote:Since the photograph resolution has been reduced to 180 pixels wide and 135 pixels high for the website membership directory ...
It changed? Does it really reject larger? My photo is 200 x 135. I know the instructions say 180 x 135 but have you tried higher? I've sometimes found the stated limit and what the system really chokes on are two different things.
rickety

Post by rickety »

RussellHltn > It changed? I know the instructions say 180 x 135 but have you tried higher?

A few minutes ago I uploaded an image in the membership directory exactly 180 x 135 pixels and 24.9 Kb. It was happy :). Uploading an image 181 x 135 pixels and 25.1 Kb provoked a decidedly different demeanor: Your graphic height or width is too large. It needs to be '135 height X 180 width' or smaller. :( (frowny face mine).

Larger pixel sizes uploaded before pixel conservation was implemented are retained. I think the team have something in mind, hence patience is needed. However, I wouldn't implement a campaign for photos before testing to see if the goal you want to achieve is even possible (um, like I did).
pepe0001

Post by pepe0001 »

Many members in my ward have been asking about a ward photo gallery for ward activities. For now we may sign up for a Flickr or Photobucket account.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”