Add Page to LUWS?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
KathrynGZ

Add Page to LUWS?

Postby KathrynGZ » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi folks,

Is it possible to add a page to the LUWS? We'd like to add a family history page with links to Church family history resources, our temple trip schedule, the consultants' contact information, and the Family History Center hours.

Thanks!

Kathryn

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:06 pm

Not that I've ever heard of. The closest you can get is to create a PDF attachment and attach it to a news item.

However, the PDF must be 1MB or less.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:08 pm

Kathryn wrote:Is it possible to add a page to the LUWS? We'd like to add a family history page with links to Church family history resources, our temple trip schedule, the consultants' contact information, and the Family History Center hours.

You can't add any pages to LUWS. However, you can add a News and Information item that can contain plenty of information. One option that can be helpful is to attach a PDF file that can contain links to helpful resources.

You can also put some links on the Additional Web Resources area. See Church Websites for a list of sites that can be linked that way.

KathrynGZ

Add Page to LUWS?

Postby KathrynGZ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:33 am

Thanks, Russell and Alan, that's helpful. A couple of followup questions:

1. Is it possible to add an additional section to the home page? There's a section on missionary work; seems like a section on family history work would be appropriate :)

2. Is there any documentation I can read to get a better idea of how the LUWS works?

Thanks again!

Kathryn

techgy
Community Moderators

Postby techgy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:45 am

Kathryn,

I believe that Alan answered your question about adding pages to the LUWS.
The current version of the software does not permit any additional pages to be added. You can post news items that contain additional information but that's it.

In regards to documentation I'd suggest you check the "Helps" link at the top of the LUWS once you're logged in.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

mkmurray

Postby mkmurray » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:02 am

I'll just add to this discussion that the next version of LUWS developed by the Community has some interesting proposed features that would do things similar to what you suggest about adding pages to LUWS: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Local_Unit_Website_Project and more specifically https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Local_Unit_News_and_Information_Pages

It currently proposes links and attachments, blogs, unlimited news and information pages, and notification of when pages are updated. This project is in the very early stages of planning, and is based largely on the LUWS Feedback and Suggestions wiki page: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/LUWS:_Feedback_and_Suggestions
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:18 am

Kathryn wrote:Is it possible to add an additional section to the home page

No. LUWS isn't a website in the normal sense. It's a "fill in the blank" operation.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

KathrynGZ

Postby KathrynGZ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Thank you all! Sounds like my best solution for the time being is an item on the News & Information page. And I'll check out the ideas for the next generation of LUWS.

Kathryn

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”