Display of names in Registered Users list

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Display of names in Registered Users list

Postby AileneRHerrick » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:43 am

Okay, now I am looking at the new registered users list. Several usernames are blank because of the transition to LDS Account. That's okay. However, some of the members names are displayed funny.

1. One person who switched to LDS Account has their last name displayed in all caps.
2. Eight people have at least one of their names starting with a lowercase letter (all of them have the last name, some have both the first and last name). This occurs among "switched" users and "not-switched" users.
3. Maiden names are appearing. Not for ALL the females, but a few females have their maiden names listed in the Registered Users list instead of their current names.

It seems like in all of these cases, the names appear correctly in the membership directory from the blue screens.

What should I do about this, if anything?

Ailene

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6527
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:38 pm

AileneRHerrick wrote:Okay, now I am looking at the new registered users list. Several usernames are blank because of the transition to LDS Account. That's okay. However, some of the members names are displayed funny.

1. One person who switched to LDS Account has their last name displayed in all caps.
2. Eight people have at least one of their names starting with a lowercase letter (all of them have the last name, some have both the first and last name). This occurs among "switched" users and "not-switched" users.
3. Maiden names are appearing. Not for ALL the females, but a few females have their maiden names listed in the Registered Users list instead of their current names.

It seems like in all of these cases, the names appear correctly in the membership directory from the blue screens.

What should I do about this, if anything?

Ailene
The names displayed on the blue screens comes from two sources. The surname, or last name, is from MLS. If no preferred name is entered in the LUWS then the first name and middle name(s) are also provided by MLS. If, however, the preferred name is changed in the LUWS then that will be displayed in lieu of the MLS first and middle names.

It appears that the change in the capitalization changes you are seeing on the green administrator pages are the result of how the user entered the name information in their profile page when they signed up for the LDS Account. This does not affect the display of the preferred name and the surname in LUWS since that is determined by MLS and the LUWS preferred name. I can not provide an explanation for the maiden names appearing.

I ran a test on my preferred name (LUWS term) and the LDS Account display name (term for preferred name in LDS Account user profile). The LUWS directory displayed the LUWS preferred name that can now only be edited by the web administrator. When I changed the display name in my LDS Account profile the LUWS directory and deleted my preferred name in the LUWS the name displayed on the directory reverted to my first and middle name as supplied by MLS. The display name in my LDS Account profile had no affect on the LUWS directory name.

Since I did the test in just a few minutes and did not leave the changes I made for the test over a period of days I am not certain that if there is no preferred name in MLS that the display name in the LDS Account user profile would be the name displayed in the LUWS directory. Perhaps DJC can tell us how the LDS Account affects the name displayed in the LUWS directories.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:01 pm

jdlessley wrote:The LUWS directory displayed the LUWS preferred name that can now only be edited by the web administrator.


I don't see any change in the ability to edit the LUWS preferred name. Individual users can still edit it by using Update Profile, just like they always have done. Why do you think that can only be edited by the web administrator?

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6527
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:I don't see any change in the ability to edit the LUWS preferred name. Individual users can still edit it by using Update Profile, just like they always have done. Why do you think that can only be edited by the web administrator?
You're right. I went right past that on the main 'update profile' page out of habit. There used to be two pages where the preferred name could be changed. The first was the main page, which is still there, and the other was the old page that was displayed when the 'update password and other options' link was clicked. Of course now that link takes a user to the LDS Account profile page.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Postby AileneRHerrick » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:06 pm

jdlessley wrote:The names displayed on the blue screens comes from two sources. The surname, or last name, is from MLS. If no preferred name is entered in the LUWS then the first name and middle name(s) are also provided by MLS. If, however, the preferred name is changed in the LUWS then that will be displayed in lieu of the MLS first and middle names.

It appears that the change in the capitalization changes you are seeing on the green administrator pages are the result of how the user entered the name information in their profile page when they signed up for the LDS Account. This does not affect the display of the preferred name and the surname in LUWS since that is determined by MLS and the LUWS preferred name. I can not provide an explanation for the maiden names appearing.

I ran a test on my preferred name (LUWS term) and the LDS Account display name (term for preferred name in LDS Account user profile). The LUWS directory displayed the LUWS preferred name that can now only be edited by the web administrator. When I changed the display name in my LDS Account profile the LUWS directory and deleted my preferred name in the LUWS the name displayed on the directory reverted to my first and middle name as supplied by MLS. The display name in my LDS Account profile had no affect on the LUWS directory name.

Since I did the test in just a few minutes and did not leave the changes I made for the test over a period of days I am not certain that if there is no preferred name in MLS that the display name in the LDS Account user profile would be the name displayed in the LUWS directory. Perhaps DJC can tell us how the LDS Account affects the name displayed in the LUWS directories.


I decided to do a test on the editable "Preferred Name" field from the Webmaster's standpoint. I'll combine users with identical cases.

User #1
Account: LDS Account
Error: Surname has all letters capitalized in Registered Users list
Results: Surname cannot be edited on the website by the user or by web administrator

Users #2, #5, and #6
Account: Old credentials
Error: Surname is not capitalized, appears in all lowercase letters
Results: Surname cannot be edited on the website by the user or by web administrator

Users #3, #8 and #12
Account: LDS Account
Error: Surname is not capitalized, appears in all lowercase letters
Results: Surname cannot be edited on the website by the user or by the web administrator

Users #4, #10, and #13
Account: LDS Account
Error: Maiden name appears instead of current surname
Results: Surname cannot be edited on the website by the user or by the web administrator

Users #7 and #14
Account: LDS Account
Error: Maiden name appears at the end of given name
Results: The preferred name field in the Membership Directory is blank, and maiden name does not appear elsewhere in the directory. Although, it is sometimes common for women to make their maiden names their middle names after marriage.

Users #9 and #11
Account: Old credentials
Error: Maiden name appears instead of current surname
Results: Surname cannot be edited on the website by the user or by the web administrator

Users #15 and #16
Account: LDS Account
Error: Full name appears in lowercase letters
Results: The preferred name in the Membership Directory is blank.

User avatar
pbarrus
New Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Sacramento, California

Postby pbarrus » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:28 pm

AileneRHerrick wrote:Okay, now I am looking at the new registered users list. Several usernames are blank because of the transition to LDS Account. That's okay. However, some of the members names are displayed funny.

1. One person who switched to LDS Account has their last name displayed in all caps.
2. Eight people have at least one of their names starting with a lowercase letter (all of them have the last name, some have both the first and last name). This occurs among "switched" users and "not-switched" users.
3. Maiden names are appearing. Not for ALL the females, but a few females have their maiden names listed in the Registered Users list instead of their current names.

It seems like in all of these cases, the names appear correctly in the membership directory from the blue screens.

What should I do about this, if anything?

Ailene


I think Ailene is referring to the list of registered users that is only available on the "GREEN SCREEN" administrator's side of LUWS. I just took a look at our Ward's list of registered users and about half the user names are blank. YES, there are some with maiden names (under the Names column) and many with last name in all CAPS, several with no first letter in the last name capitalized, one with a capital letter in the middle of their last name, and at least one last name misspelled.

Phyl
:confused::confused::confused:

User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Postby AileneRHerrick » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:38 am

Does anyone else have this problem on their green screens? I think maybe it has something to do with the way that names are entered into MLS perhaps. Could anyone verify this for me? I'm not a clerk.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20781
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:51 am

I took a look at our Registered Users page and also noticed some mixed case issues. I'll have to take a look at MLS to see what's going on tonight.

Here's my guess:

MLS has three different name fields: Household name (for each family grouping), Full name, and Preferred name. All 3 contain the family name.

As discussed elsewhere, for the membership directory LUWS only uses the Household name for the last name and the rest of the Full name unless overridden by the user profile. By policy the full name is supposed to be the person's legal name. LUWS directory doesn't support households with mixed last names very well.

I think what's going on is that the Registered Users list is pulled from the Full Name only. Most MLS reports use the Preferred name, so issues with the Full name will be mostly invisible.

Historically church membership records were all uppercase. The MLS demo database is like that. What you may be seeing is a spotty effort to change that.

Now this raises another question in my mind - how do members with callings appear in LUWS? Is it like the directory with Family name + Full/Profile, or is it different?
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Postby AileneRHerrick » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:35 am

RussellHltn wrote:Now this raises another question in my mind - how do members with callings appear in LUWS? Is it like the directory with Family name + Full/Profile, or is it different?


I can answer that question. Two members whose maiden names appear have callings. One in Primary, and one in Young Women's. Their legal names appear in the Leadership Directory. Any capitalization errors that appear in the Registered Users directory do not appear in the Leadership Directory (or the Membership Directory either).

Everything appears to be okay on all the blue screens. When I click on the names with errors in the green screens for contact information, it shows the correct contact name (with proper capitalization). Likewise in the Membership and Leadership Directory of the green screens seem to appear okay. When you try to find people for callings, it shows up okay.

The only page that seems to reflect these issues is the Registered Users screen.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6527
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Hopefully the developers working on the transition are working on these issues. The capitaliztion issue is a minor thing as long as the blue directory pages display correctly. However the maiden name appearing instead of the correct member name needs to be addressed. This definitely appears to be a bug.

Has anybody submitted this through the LUWS administrator feedback?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?


Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest