"Optional Information" -- useless information?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jeffszone

"Optional Information" -- useless information?

Post by jeffszone »

Here's what I'd like to know with the LUWS...

If you click the "update profile" link at the very top of the page, it displays a field with your e-mail address. Then if you click "update password and other options" there is yet *another* field for your e-mail address under "optional information" section, which for seems to be different than the first e-mail address field for some reason.

Then you have the well saught after places to enter work, home, cell, and even fax numbers for each individual, along with your street address. Where does this information go?! It isn't displayed on the online (or offline) membership directory. The website administrator can't get to it. The membership clerk can't find it. As far as I can tell, it goes nowhere and does nothing, except to remain outdated from whenever someone initially registers to use this website, just in case they ever want to go back into the update profile page and update their hidden details.

So why call it "optional information"? Why not just call it "useless information", as that is about what it is!

I suggest getting rid of all of these fields, and replacing it with a much more prominate link on the home page to update one's contact information. It should just be an e-mail form that gets sent to the clerk's office. How hard would it be to rig some back end scripting so that a form submission on the website would generate a message sent from headquarters to the unit via MLS? Sounds feasible to me. Then the clerk could review the information for accuracy and update the MLS records accordingly.

-Jeff
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

All of these issues are being looked at as we work on the new version of LUWS. Thanks for the input.

Tom

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”