Display of long stake/ward names

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It looks to me like FireFox is using a larger font than IE.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

RussellHltn wrote:It looks to me like FireFox is using a larger font than IE.
Actually, the font size might have been me. I may have selected slightly larger than minimum font sizes for some web sites that assume everyone is at 72dpi and use very tiny fonts. Most web sites display well for me, but a few have made unportable assumptions about font sizes and end up with text overlapping other text, text overlapping graphics, etc.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:"Universtiry"? The quality of education nowadays. :rolleyes:

See the attachment on how the ward/stake name appears to me.
Now, take (Student Single) Stake, and slide it up so that the top of the S is even with the middle line of the B in the line above. Then overlay it.

That's what I see. It is not a font size problem for me. It is the display location of the second line of the stake name. It is overwritten on the first line, just slightly lower.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:Now, take (Student Single) Stake, and slide it up so that the top of the S is even with the middle line of the B in the line above. Then overlay it.
Ok. I am going to be really brave here and try to include an attachment. A picture is worth . . . whatever. [grin]

And this is from FireFox 3
Attachments
luws.jpg
luws.jpg (3.56 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Ok. I am going to be really brave here and try to include an attachment. A picture is worth . . . whatever. [grin]

And this is from FireFox 3
Unfortunately it's been downsized to the point of being unreadable.

Edit: I take that back - the rest of the page has been redacted to white (not cropped) and then downsized. But the end result is still something too small to see clearly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

rmrichesjr wrote:(... jumping in to the middle of the thread ...)

Here's how it looks to me on Firefox 2.0.0.20 on Mandriva Linux 2009.0 at 105dpi screen resolution. The Japanese characters look fine to me, even if I have forgotten most of the more complex Kanji.

Ah... now I see what everyone is talking about... but unfortunately, I have no insight as to how to fix it.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:Now, take (Student Single) Stake, and slide it up so that the top of the S is even with the middle line of the B in the line above. Then overlay it.

That's what I see. It is not a font size problem for me. It is the display location of the second line of the stake name. It is overwritten on the first line, just slightly lower.
The CSS rules on the web site give a line height of 55% to the Stake name. Since the percent is less than 100% the lines overlap. The only effect the font size should have is on whether the Stake name wraps to a second line or not. If there are 2 lines they will overlap no matter the font size.

I think the developers must have used the small line height to move the Stake name up closer to the Ward name but the unfortunate side effect is to overlap the lines when the Stake name wraps.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Is there any chance you could post a screen-shot--you know, the thousand words vs. a picture thing...

Based on your description, it sounds like it still might be that the vertical position of the second line could be correct if the font were smaller, so there might still be a possibility of it being a font size issue. Or, can the screen-shot prove me wrong on that? I think one of the screen-shots someone else posted showed the stake name in a much smaller font than the ward name.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:The CSS rules on the web site give a line height of 55% to the Stake name. Since the percent is less than 100% the lines overlap. The only effect the font size should have is on whether the Stake name wraps to a second line or not. If there are 2 lines they will overlap no matter the font size.
Then why does the sample in post #14 look ok? In that sample. the font looks smaller. Perhaps IE shrunk the font whereas FF only shrunk the space allocation.

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

RussellHltn wrote:Then why does the sample in post #14 look ok? In that sample. the font looks smaller. Perhaps IE shrunk the font whereas FF only shrunk the space allocation.
No, the font size is a separate setting from line-height. Assuming default font settings in both IE 7 and FF 3 the fonts come out pretty much the same size.

After some experimentation I found that IE has a quirk in relation to line-height. If there is white space after the link (like there is in this case), IE will also use the line-height of the whitespace to determine the height of the last line of the link. Since in this case the whitespace has default line-height, it causes the entire line to have the default height (ie it ends up ignoring the line-height setting) If the Stake name extended to 3 lines then the first two would be squished together but the last would be separated.

FF ignores the whitespace after the link (which is what the CSS spec says should happen) and all the lines a squished.

Here are a couple of images from test cases I made that show the difference.

Internet Explorer 7:
ie.gif
ie.gif (1.67 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
Firefox 3.0:
ff.gif
ff.gif (1.71 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”