E-mail being sent to disabled account

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Depending on what time, I wouldn't rule out the site being down.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

avskip wrote:I called the member this morning. We went through the signup together.

It went very smoothly and there were no errors at all.

Someone may not know how to type is my estimation.
Thanks for closing the loop. Although there were some interesting speculations as to several software or database problems might be at fault, it's nice to know that in this case the system worked properly, but it was simple user error.

I suppose it's possible that this could be an indication that the site's usability might be less than ideal, but we don't have enough information to draw any conclusions in that area.

In any case, thanks again for making the effort to report back -- it's very helpful.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Depending on what time, I wouldn't rule out the site being down.
The description of the problem said, "It keeps refusing him saying the information is wrong, even though he's taking the info directly from his current IOS." I don't see how a site that is down can display a response that information is incorrect. So I would indeed rule out that possibility in this case.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

Alan_Brown wrote:Thanks for closing the loop. Although there were some interesting speculations as to several software or database problems might be at fault, it's nice to know that in this case the system worked properly, but it was simple user error.

I suppose it's possible that this could be an indication that the site's usability might be less than ideal, but we don't have enough information to draw any conclusions in that area.

In any case, thanks again for making the effort to report back -- it's very helpful.
In this particular instance, I truly believe it might have been computer unfamiliarity (is that a word?). The member has a hard time with them and is on a dialup account. Those may have been factors as well. Now I'm wondering about their clerk. :D

But it's working and I gave them a verbal walk-through on how to use their unit website so they don't go in totally cold. I also gave them my phone number to call if they run into problems.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:The description of the problem said, "It keeps refusing him saying the information is wrong, even though he's taking the info directly from his current IOS." I don't see how a site that is down can display a response that information is incorrect. So I would indeed rule out that possibility in this case.
I've learned to take error messages with a grain of salt. To site itself could be up, but the database it checks against could have been down and the error trapping was giving inaccurate statements. If the programmer only tested for "found" and failed to do a check for "database available" I could see how the wrong error message was generated.

I know in the past with LUWS I'd get strange messages when I tried to login when things were down late at night. What was it? Something like "this stake is not participating"?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

avskip wrote:Now I'm wondering about their clerk. :D

Yes. You should always wonder about the clerk. Clerks are wonderful, after all. [grin]
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:I know in the past with LUWS I'd get strange messages when I tried to login when things were down late at night. What was it? Something like "this stake is not participating"?
I've seen that more than once when the LUWS system was down and it usually turned out to be the database unavailable.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”