Photos in News and Information

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Photos in News and Information

Postby zaneclark » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm

I decided to use a photo to help illustrate a News item and it loaded easily but when you click on the news item on the home page, you do not see the photo. In order to see it, you have to click on "more" at the bottom of the News list and then all you see is a camera icon which you have to click to see the photo... I wonder how many people are going to go through these steps to see the photo? Is there a way around this, other than using some html codes which I am not comfortable with?

User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Postby AileneRHerrick » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:09 am

zaneclark wrote:I decided to use a photo to help illustrate a News item and it loaded easily but when you click on the news item on the home page, you do not see the photo. In order to see it, you have to click on "more" at the bottom of the News list and then all you see is a camera icon which you have to click to see the photo... I wonder how many people are going to go through these steps to see the photo? Is there a way around this, other than using some html codes which I am not comfortable with?


That's a good question. I'll go tinker with it... it shouldn't take me long to figure out if image tags work or not.

Okay, I tested using image tags, and they are stripped from the code just like anchor tags are. I don't know if there is a workaround. My guess it is probably that way to keep the pictures from slowing down the website every time that page loads. If there is a workaround, I would suggest displaying a small thumnail of the picture, with it linked to the pop-up window. Then, people will see a small preview of the pictures that won't make the page load slowly, and then if they are interested, they'll click on it to see more.

Good luck!

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:32 am

zaneclark wrote:I decided to use a photo to help illustrate a News item and it loaded easily but when you click on the news item on the home page, you do not see the photo. In order to see it, you have to click on "more" at the bottom of the News list and then all you see is a camera icon which you have to click to see the photo... I wonder how many people are going to go through these steps to see the photo? Is there a way around this, other than using some html codes which I am not comfortable with?


Image sizes are limited to 100k when posting in a news item. I just tried the same thing and it worked fine if the size is no larger than this. I used the Import Image feature of the news item and imported the photo, which was around 78k, then saved the news item. No Problem.

zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Postby zaneclark » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:42 am

Techgy wrote:Image sizes are limited to 100k when posting in a news item. I just tried the same thing and it worked fine if the size is no larger than this. I used the Import Image feature of the news item and imported the photo, which was around 78k, then saved the news item. No Problem.


You are correct, everything works, but my question concerns all the steps necessary to eventually see the photo... I was asking if there was perhaps a "work-around" for this to make it easier to see the photo.

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:17 pm

zaneclark wrote:You are correct, everything works, but my question concerns all the steps necessary to eventually see the photo... I was asking if there was perhaps a "work-around" for this to make it easier to see the photo.


When I uploaded the image into a "test" new item all I had to do to view the image was to click on the new item and the image was there. I'm not getting the same result as you are.

zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Postby zaneclark » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:31 pm

Techgy wrote:When I uploaded the image into a "test" new item all I had to do to view the image was to click on the new item and the image was there. I'm not getting the same result as you are.


Maybe I'm missing a step. Here are the steps someone would have to go through to see a photo I have posted in the News:

1..Log on, (of course)
2..Click on the news item. However this does NOT show the photo or the camera icon. For that you have to
3..Click on "More:"
4..Click on camera icon.

As I said in my first post on this, I don't too many members are going to go through all those steps to see a photo. They might click on the item, but will not know to use "More" to see any photos. I have added a direction to "click on More to see photo" to the title of the item. If there is a different way to approach this, I haven't been able to figure it out...

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14691
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:44 pm

zaneclark wrote:Maybe I'm missing a step. Here are the steps someone would have to go through to see a photo I have posted in the News:

1..Log on, (of course)
2..Click on the news item. However this does NOT show the photo or the camera icon. For that you have to
3..Click on "More:"
4..Click on camera icon.

As I said in my first post on this, I don't too many members are going to go through all those steps to see a photo. They might click on the item, but will not know to use "More" to see any photos. I have added a direction to "click on More to see photo" to the title of the item. If there is a different way to approach this, I haven't been able to figure it out...


I think the confusing step is where in #2 you say "Click on the news item." Do you mean "Click on the News and Information" link in the left navigation area? If so, then you are simply going to the list of items, not to the actual item.

If you tend to have short items, then you can see the text of the items from the News and Information page (but not the photos). But each item with a photo will have a camera icon to indicate that there are photos. If you click on the actual item from the home page, or from the News and Information page, you will see the photo thumbnail -- then it's pretty obvious that there is a photo, and you can click on the thumbnail to see the full-size photo.

I don't think you should expect to see the actual photos in the list of items -- that would mean you would see fewer items in the list, where the point of the list is to show as many items as possible, and then you can click on the item for more details.

zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Postby zaneclark » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:I think the confusing step is where in #2 you say "Click on the news item." Do you mean "Click on the News and Information" link in the left navigation area? If so, then you are simply going to the list of items, not to the actual item.

If you tend to have short items, then you can see the text of the items from the News and Information page (but not the photos). But each item with a photo will have a camera icon to indicate that there are photos. If you click on the actual item from the home page, or from the News and Information page, you will see the photo thumbnail -- then it's pretty obvious that there is a photo, and you can click on the thumbnail to see the full-size photo.

I don't think you should expect to see the actual photos in the list of items -- that would mean you would see fewer items in the list, where the point of the list is to show as many items as possible, and then you can click on the item for more details.


This has probably been tossed around enough, but I will just answer your statement above. I know that when you click the "News...." link in the left side column, you see the list with the camera icon. However if you click on the the item in the column on the right side, you see is the full item without any photo or camera icon. This is where you have to click "More" to see the list with the camera icon. It doesn't sound like there is a good alternative so I'll just wait for the next update of the LUWS and maybe this will change......

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14691
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:40 pm

zaneclark wrote:This has probably been tossed around enough, but I will just answer your statement above. I know that when you click the "News...." link in the left side column, you see the list with the camera icon. However if you click on the the item in the column on the right side, you see is the full item without any photo or camera icon. This is where you have to click "More" to see the list with the camera icon. It doesn't sound like there is a good alternative so I'll just wait for the next update of the LUWS and maybe this will change......


Thanks for your patience. I appreciate the additional details, and I know understand, and I think you have a very good point.

The situation is where you have checked the "Show this item on the home page" check box, and the item has sufficient priority to actually be displayed on the upper right corner of the home page. When you click on such items, the site displays the item in a popup window. This popup has absolutely no indication that there are any photos attached to the item (although if there is an attachment -- not a photo -- the popup does provide a link to the attachment).

This seems like a very unfortunate oversight --- there is no good reason why the popup couldn't at least have a link to the full item, or a thumbnail or icon to get to the photos.

User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Oops!

Postby AileneRHerrick » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Sounds like I misunderstood what you were saying.

There is one kind of workaround that you could do in the case you are describing. You could put a link to the actual photo in the text of the news item, if that makes sense. Then they'd just have to click on the link (not More... and then the camera). So that would be one less step.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Ailene


Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest