HTML Tables in News and Information

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

dmaynes wrote:Tom,

What are the odds that the new LUWS will have some similar linking functionality? It would be nice to have this. But, it would be even worse to use it and build the site with this capability only to have it taken away with the new LUWS.

Thanks,
Dennis
Well, you will have to go to Las Vegas to get the odds. ;)

Seriously, I don't have that information but my guess is that the functionality would be retained.

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote:Then there's the Murphy line of logic: If I do it now, then it's more likely to come out next month. :D
Then by all means DO IT NOW! :D

Tom
AileneRHerrick

Yes!

Post by AileneRHerrick »

tomw wrote:Then by all means DO IT NOW! :D

Tom

Amen to that! That's hilarious. :D
ddickson-p40

Thanks for the tips . . .

Post by ddickson-p40 »

I have been a little consumed, but wanted to say thank you for the great tips. Back when I first posted, I took your tips and created what I think turned out pretty well. I thought I'd share my work in case anyone else wanted to link to lessons outside of what's standard in the LUWS template. I have attached what I did. I didn't filter out dates and things like our stake conference, so you'll have a little work to do if you use it. But copying and pasting all of the lesson URLs was the big part of the work. Lessons I included are: The Teaching the Gospel Course, The Temple Preparation Course, The Marriage and Family Relations Course, and Teaching in the Home (part of the Teaching: No Greater Call Book). I hope you find it useful . . .
Attachments
LessonURLs.txt
(15.24 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
AileneRHerrick

Nice!

Post by AileneRHerrick »

ddickson wrote:I have been a little consumed, but wanted to say thank you for the great tips. Back when I first posted, I took your tips and created what I think turned out pretty well. I thought I'd share my work in case anyone else wanted to link to lessons outside of what's standard in the LUWS template. I have attached what I did. I didn't filter out dates and things like our stake conference, so you'll have a little work to do if you use it. But copying and pasting all of the lesson URLs was the big part of the work. Lessons I included are: The Teaching the Gospel Course, The Temple Preparation Course, The Marriage and Family Relations Course, and Teaching in the Home (part of the Teaching: No Greater Call Book). I hope you find it useful . . .

I know how much time it takes to put together links, so I applaud all the work that you did for your ward! :D

Just out of curiosity, where did you post this? Did you post this as an additional "News and Information" item?
enoch5939-p40

Post by enoch5939-p40 »

AileneRHerrick wrote:
1. I don't know how to make the cursor look like one of those pointing hand things... the one that lets you know you can click on a link. So if anyone knows how, let me know! :)
(I know this thread might be old but I hope this will help) ...

Yes, I know how to help with this. :) ...
This:
<span style=color:blue;cursor;pointer;
right after "cursor" is a ";", it should be a ":". :)

you can change pointer to "Hand", but Mozilla Firefox doesn't reconize it. I tried leaving it as just pointer, and changing the ; to a :, and it changes it automatically.

Also, I found a site that you can test your code with in real time, without having to mess around to much on the website.

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp ... yhtml_font

(you will need to delete the code that is already in there, but i am sure most of you here can figure that out. ) ...

Hopefully this helpful

Bro. Evans
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

I hadn't read through this thread either, but now that I see it I might mention a couple of things.

The default text size within an HTML table is larger than the default text size on the LUWS. So if you are combining text and tables in a News and Information item, the text sizes will be different. Thus enters the <font> tag. Unfortunately, the <font> tag is deprecated and at some future date will no longer be valid HTML code. The only way to get around the size difference at that point will be to use CSS styles, which don't work in LUWS. There isn't anything you can do about this, but be aware that at some future date, the <font> tag may stop working.

While we're talking about deprecation, the
tag is going to be replaced at some future date. HTML is supposedly switching to a format in which all tags must be closed. When this change takes effect, you will need to use
instead of
. The HTML parsers will read
as both an open and closed tag, making it valid. HTML can read this tag now, so I would recommend using it.

With regards to links, Brother Evans was correct about why the cursor wasn't changing. In the <span> tag, each option is specified using a colon between the option name and the choice, and a semicolon to denote when specifying an additional option (i.e. <span style=[option1]:[option1 name]; [option2]:[option2 name]>). I find that putting after ever semi-colon helps me identify what my options are with a little more ease.

I'll add these tips to the tips and tricks page.

Last question: Sometimes when we have an event I like to create a map on Google maps for people to look up. I usually make a map under my profile and mark it as private, so that you can only get to it when supplied with the link. I also make the map something that only I can edit. While this isn't technically permissible by Church policy, I don't feel it is egregious enough for me to discontinue the practice. How do you guys feel about that?
Danpeay

Post by Danpeay »

I have been searching on the Wiki for something to convert an Excel table to html. My Bishop asked to post the 2010 leadership meeting schedule to News and Information. I found a good solution. Excel has File SaveAs html, but its not very clean and contains tons of useless code. I found a free web tool that did a very neat job. Just copy the contents of the spreadsheet and past into the website and it produces a pretty clean table. It even keeps the bold and general formatting intact. http://tableizer.journalistopia.com/

Thanks,
Dan

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”