Google Calendar Integration

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
doughy
New Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:39 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Google Calendar Integration

Postby doughy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:23 pm

Just curious if the Church IT has ever thought about integrating google calendar for the ward/stake websites.

Does anyone know if there is a way to load a ward calendar into a google calendar and have it automatically update when someone makes a change (versus just a manual import)?

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:24 am

Doughy wrote:Just curious if the Church IT has ever thought about integrating google calendar for the ward/stake websites.

They may or may not have thought of it. But since you are trying to bring it to their attention, what would be the advantage?
Doughy wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to load a ward calendar into a google calendar and have it automatically update when someone makes a change (versus just a manual import)?

I can't think of a way to do an automated update between the two. It would make more sense in my opinion to use one or the other, but not both. Is there an advantage to both?

User avatar
cottrells
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:

iCalendar standard

Postby cottrells » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:25 am

I think a more appropriate question is - Will future versions of the LUWS Calender be iCalendar compliant?

I live in the UK, so I do not know how the current LUWS Calendar works, but if future a version were built using the iCalendar standard it would be possible for members to import it into Google Calendar or any other iCalendar client. Then when something is updated on the LUWS Calender is would also feed into the member's calendar client, be it Google Calendar or something else.

I imagine that when you visit the LUWS Calendar members get to see their ward and stake calendar items in one view. Having these events feed into their prefered application and the events would then also sit alongside their personal/work calendar. I think that would be a helpful improvement.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:14 am

cottrells wrote:I think a more appropriate question is - Will future versions of the LUWS Calender be iCalendar compliant?

I live in the UK, so I do not know how the current LUWS Calendar works, but if future a version were built using the iCalendar standard it would be possible for members to import it into Google Calendar or any other iCalendar client. Then when something is updated on the LUWS Calender is would also feed into the member's calendar client, be it Google Calendar or something else.

I imagine that when you visit the LUWS Calendar members get to see their ward and stake calendar items in one view. Having these events feed into their prefered application and the events would then also sit alongside their personal/work calendar. I think that would be a helpful improvement.

You can currently export the next 12 months from your LUWS Ward or Stake Calendar as CSV, iCal, or vCal.

gawing
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:52 pm
Contact:

Postby gawing » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:23 am

My 2 cents on the calendar...
I have found that even though it lacks features that have been mentioned in many places on this forum, it does print a nice looking calendar. When I export/import the calendar into Outlook 2003 and/or Google Calendar, when you print, the title of the event does not wrap onto a second line. In many cases, this makes it difficult to see enough about the activity.

On the LUWS printed calendar it would show:
7:00 PM Elders Quorum
Fireside - Service in the
Church

In Outlook or Google Calendar, a printed calendar would show:
7:00 PM Elders Quorum...

(this is not an exact example, but you get the idea).

I hope that whatever changes are made to the LUWS, the calendar still shows all the details as it does now.

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:40 am

cottrells wrote:I think a more appropriate question is - Will future versions of the LUWS Calender be iCalendar compliant?

I live in the UK, so I do not know how the current LUWS Calendar works, but if future a version were built using the iCalendar standard it would be possible for members to import it into Google Calendar or any other iCalendar client. Then when something is updated on the LUWS Calender is would also feed into the member's calendar client, be it Google Calendar or something else.

I imagine that when you visit the LUWS Calendar members get to see their ward and stake calendar items in one view. Having these events feed into their prefered application and the events would then also sit alongside their personal/work calendar. I think that would be a helpful improvement.

This is the direction we are taking on future versions of the calendaring.

Tom

niederhausern-p40
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Redmond, WA
Contact:

Filter Ward Calendar Items

Postby niederhausern-p40 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:02 am

I'd like to see a filter on the calendar. Possibly have tags like relief society, high priests, teachers quorum, mia maids, ward, etc when entering a calendar item. It would be cool if I could select certain tags to display the calendar items I select for printing or export. Most often I’m only interested in what the YM or primary is doing. It would be nice to filter out the calendar items I don’t need. Thoughts?

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:55 am

niederhausern wrote:I'd like to see a filter on the calendar. Possibly have tags like relief society, high priests, teachers quorum, mia maids, ward, etc when entering a calendar item. It would be cool if I could select certain tags to display the calendar items I select for printing or export. Most often I’m only interested in what the YM or primary is doing. It would be nice to filter out the calendar items I don’t need. Thoughts?

This isn't the first time we've seen this suggested on these forums; however, I think it is one of the most useful and helpful suggestions. I too hope this makes it into the next version of the Local Unit Web Sites.


Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest