Google Calendar Integration

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
doughy

Google Calendar Integration

Post by doughy »

Just curious if the Church IT has ever thought about integrating google calendar for the ward/stake websites.

Does anyone know if there is a way to load a ward calendar into a google calendar and have it automatically update when someone makes a change (versus just a manual import)?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Doughy wrote:Just curious if the Church IT has ever thought about integrating google calendar for the ward/stake websites.
They may or may not have thought of it. But since you are trying to bring it to their attention, what would be the advantage?
Doughy wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to load a ward calendar into a google calendar and have it automatically update when someone makes a change (versus just a manual import)?
I can't think of a way to do an automated update between the two. It would make more sense in my opinion to use one or the other, but not both. Is there an advantage to both?
cottrells

iCalendar standard

Post by cottrells »

I think a more appropriate question is - Will future versions of the LUWS Calender be iCalendar compliant?

I live in the UK, so I do not know how the current LUWS Calendar works, but if future a version were built using the iCalendar standard it would be possible for members to import it into Google Calendar or any other iCalendar client. Then when something is updated on the LUWS Calender is would also feed into the member's calendar client, be it Google Calendar or something else.

I imagine that when you visit the LUWS Calendar members get to see their ward and stake calendar items in one view. Having these events feed into their prefered application and the events would then also sit alongside their personal/work calendar. I think that would be a helpful improvement.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

cottrells wrote:I think a more appropriate question is - Will future versions of the LUWS Calender be iCalendar compliant?

I live in the UK, so I do not know how the current LUWS Calendar works, but if future a version were built using the iCalendar standard it would be possible for members to import it into Google Calendar or any other iCalendar client. Then when something is updated on the LUWS Calender is would also feed into the member's calendar client, be it Google Calendar or something else.

I imagine that when you visit the LUWS Calendar members get to see their ward and stake calendar items in one view. Having these events feed into their prefered application and the events would then also sit alongside their personal/work calendar. I think that would be a helpful improvement.
You can currently export the next 12 months from your LUWS Ward or Stake Calendar as CSV, iCal, or vCal.
gawing

Post by gawing »

My 2 cents on the calendar...
I have found that even though it lacks features that have been mentioned in many places on this forum, it does print a nice looking calendar. When I export/import the calendar into Outlook 2003 and/or Google Calendar, when you print, the title of the event does not wrap onto a second line. In many cases, this makes it difficult to see enough about the activity.

On the LUWS printed calendar it would show:
7:00 PM Elders Quorum
Fireside - Service in the
Church

In Outlook or Google Calendar, a printed calendar would show:
7:00 PM Elders Quorum...

(this is not an exact example, but you get the idea).

I hope that whatever changes are made to the LUWS, the calendar still shows all the details as it does now.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

cottrells wrote:I think a more appropriate question is - Will future versions of the LUWS Calender be iCalendar compliant?

This is the direction we are taking on future versions of the calendaring.

Tom
niederhausern-p40

Filter Ward Calendar Items

Post by niederhausern-p40 »

I'd like to see a filter on the calendar. Possibly have tags like relief society, high priests, teachers quorum, mia maids, ward, etc when entering a calendar item. It would be cool if I could select certain tags to display the calendar items I select for printing or export. Most often I’m only interested in what the YM or primary is doing. It would be nice to filter out the calendar items I don’t need. Thoughts?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

niederhausern wrote:I'd like to see a filter on the calendar. Possibly have tags like relief society, high priests, teachers quorum, mia maids, ward, etc when entering a calendar item. It would be cool if I could select certain tags to display the calendar items I select for printing or export. Most often I’m only interested in what the YM or primary is doing. It would be nice to filter out the calendar items I don’t need. Thoughts?
This isn't the first time we've seen this suggested on these forums; however, I think it is one of the most useful and helpful suggestions. I too hope this makes it into the next version of the Local Unit Web Sites.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”