Calendar: midnight ending time

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
GrasseDD
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Eugene, OR

Calendar: midnight ending time

Postby GrasseDD » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:58 am

Sorry if this has been asked, answered, re-asked, and re-answered. My quick forum search didn't find it:

I'm trying to enter a stake calendar event for the NYEve dance, which ends at midnight. I suppose midnight, yes, is technically part of the Jan 1, but in real life, the dance doesn't span two years (or even two days).

Entering 12AM for ending time results in an error. Entering 11:45pm will result in me getting asked why in the world would we end a NYEve dance 15 minutes early!

Right now, it seems my best option is to leave the end time blank and let common tradition inform users of the end time.

However, if there is a work-around, I would like to use it to emphasize the end time as different from the other monthly dances (10:30pm).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--dg

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:44 pm

duanegrasse wrote:Sorry if this has been asked, answered, re-asked, and re-answered. My quick forum search didn't find it:

I'm trying to enter a stake calendar event for the NYEve dance, which ends at midnight. I suppose midnight, yes, is technically part of the Jan 1, but in real life, the dance doesn't span two years (or even two days).

Entering 12AM for ending time results in an error. Entering 11:45pm will result in me getting asked why in the world would we end a NYEve dance 15 minutes early!

Right now, it seems my best option is to leave the end time blank and let common tradition inform users of the end time.

However, if there is a work-around, I would like to use it to emphasize the end time as different from the other monthly dances (10:30pm).

Any ideas?

Thanks,



--dg
Enter the start time as usual. Do not enter an end time. For the title enter "- Midnight New Years Eve Dance" without the quotes as the title of the event. It will then appear as

  • 9:00 PM - Midnight New Years Eve Dance
on the calendar.

The only oddity about this method is when someone clicks on the event to view the details. The title will be "- Midnight New Years Eve Dance" and then the start time below that and the details text below that.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:09 am

duanegrasse wrote:Entering 12AM for ending time results in an error. Entering 11:45pm will result in me getting asked why in the world would we end a NYEve dance 15 minutes early!


The days on the LUWS are set up to be from 12 AM to 11:45 PM. You are getting the error because your end time is before your start time. You need to change the day of the end time to the next day (January 1, 2009). So if my event title was "Title", you would see this on the calendar:[size=-1] 9:00 PM Title
and this in the pop-up window:
[/size]
Wednesday, 31 December 2008 - Thursday, 1 January 2009
Title
9:00 PM

details

You mention this, so it seems it's more of a display format issue you want to fix. In testing this out, I noticed that no end time appears for a calendar item that occurs over multiple days. So even though you can schedule it to end at 12 am, all you will see in the pop-up box is the start time. You would need to take jdlessley's suggestion to get an end time to show up. The ward website server appears to have just gone offline so I can't play around any more. I was going to see if it would let me post an event without a start or stop time so that I could put both in the title and avoid the "- 12 am Title" display.

Short of somehow hijacking the source code, I don't know of another way to do it.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:21 am

crislapi wrote:I was going to see if it would let me post an event without a start or stop time so that I could put both in the title and avoid the "- 12 am Title" display.
Yes you can omit the start time for the event. That would permit you to put the start and stop time for the event in the title for the event and avoid the odd title display when a user clicks the event.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:50 am

jdlessley wrote:Yes you can omit the start time for the event. That would permit you to put the start and stop time for the event in the title for the event and avoid the odd title display when a user clicks the event.


Server's back up! Just wanted to also report on what you'd see, so I ran my test.
I made the title "9:00 PM - 12:00 AM Title", set the start date to 31 Dec 2008 and did not set a start or stop time or a stop date (so it's automatically made the same as the start date).

On the ward calendar you'd see this: 9:00 PM - 12:00 AM Title
Clicking on it brings up the pop-up, in which you'd see:
Wednesday, 31 December 2008
9:00 PM - 12:00 AM Title

Details

Thanks jdlessley!

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6142
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:17 am

crislapi wrote:I ran my test.
Details


There is another way. You could put the start time as usual and the title as usual. Then, in the comments, you could add a note:

Because this is a New Year's Eve, this dance ends at midnight instead of the normal 10:00 pm youth dance ending time.

Just a thought. [grin]

By the way, normally, we end our youth dances at 9:30 pm, so that everyone can get home before the Sabbath day begins. Well, almost everyone.


Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest