Tips & Tricks for Ward / Stake Websites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
atticusewig
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:48 am

Tips & Tricks for Ward / Stake Websites

Postby atticusewig » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:03 pm

Just thought I'd start a new thread for us
to share any Tips and Tricks we had
for Ward Websites.

To get it started, I'll start with something simple:

One thing I just started doing that my users
really like is to list time spans for activities
on the ward calendar.

Currently, when you add a start and end time
for an activity, it will only show the start time.

Here's how I get it to show both the
start and end time.

Example:
Someone submits an event entitled "Youth Pool Party"
that will start at 6 pm and end at 8pm. If I approve it
as is, it will say " 6:00 PM Youth Pool Party" on the
calendar, and folks will have to click on it just to see
when it ends. However by changing the title so the
end time is before the actual title, I can add a time
span to the calendar. Thus the Title would be
" - 8:00 PM Youth Pool Party", but on the calendar
it would appear as "6:00 PM - 8:00 PM Youth Pool Party".
A lot of times, the times will be one line and actual title
on the one below it, so it is also easier to read.

Okay, so that's my simple little trick.
I'd love to hear some of yours.

Atticus Ewig

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:59 am

Very nice tip Atticus!

Tom

pulliae
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:35 pm

update time stamp...style...link...

Postby pulliae » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:47 am

first tip/trick...

I like to know when things have changed... so...
I add this to the image caption when ever i change/update our site. (most of the time anyway)
it would be nice to have it automated...(hint)

Houston Temple
<font size=1>(Last Update: 09Feb07)</font>

sample...
https://secure.lds.org/units/home/0,9781,600-1-7-107107,00.html

the only bad thing is that you have to select your image every time you change the image caption if it is one you uploaded ;(

second tip/trick...

i also added styles to make the meeting times look like the other headings...
i think you can view source on the page to copy the html...
even though its bad html, because you can't put in " in the admin pages, it seems to work ok in ff and ie6
the lines are a bit off but i doubt too many users will notice...

i have not figured out why they don't want you to change the meeting times
i think they come from slc? it would be nice if we could control that too... (this might be another hint)

third tip/trick...last for today.

on our news page which you won't be able to see unless you are really special ;)
i have created links to our calendar...assuming you have javascript turned on...
so when you open a message...it will have a link in the body...

<span style=color:blue;cursor;pointer; onclick=javascript:window.location.href=('/units/a/calendar/1,7934,601-1-7-107107,00.html')>Ward Calendar 2007</span>

no one has removed my tips/tricks yet...but i have never posted them...
so ill let you know if they get removed...

margiestroble
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 am
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Postby margiestroble » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:03 am

pulliae wrote: second tip/trick...

i have not figured out why they don't want you to change the meeting times
i think they come from slc? it would be nice if we could control that too... (this might be another hint)



The Ward Clerk is supposed to change the start time on the computer at church, then it uploads to Salt Lake and appears on the webpage.
I also add below it our other meeting times as it will let you do that.
I agree, it would be nice if the Ward Webpage Admin could change the meeting time and not have to wait for a local update from the church computer to Salt Lake, and then to the webpage.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20781
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:14 pm

margiestroble wrote:I agree, it would be nice if the Ward Webpage Admin could change the meeting time and not have to wait for a local update from the church computer to Salt Lake, and then to the webpage.


I could go either way, but I do think it should be from one place or the other and not both. Either the one from MLS will be wrong or the one the admin will be wrong. Far to easy to end up with Sacrament at 9AM and PH at 3PM. :eek:

User avatar
ShirtsDre
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:53 am
Location: Utah
Contact:

javascript insertion

Postby ShirtsDre » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:57 pm

pulliae wrote:third tip/trick...last for today.

on our news page which you won't be able to see unless you are really special ;)
i have created links to our calendar...assuming you have javascript turned on...
so when you open a message...it will have a link in the body...

<span style=color:blue;cursor;pointer; onclick=javascript:window.location.href=('/units/a/calendar/1,7934,601-1-7-107107,00.html')>Ward Calendar 2007</span>

no one has removed my tips/tricks yet...but i have never posted them...
so ill let you know if they get removed...


This will most likely be removed as soon as possible as it opens up the site to possible defamatory redirects.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson

atticusewig
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:48 am

Using LUWS to track move-outs

Postby atticusewig » Mon May 07, 2007 11:43 am

I stumbled up this when looking at another
website in our Stake with a less-than-dillegent
Admin.

Turns out that someone moved out of his
ward several months ago, but was still
listed as holding a calling. And guess
what ? It listed that person's new
contact information.

So here's the trick:

When you find out that someone is about to move,
give them a calling on the Ward Website.
I recommend the Other Category with a Calling
name like "Former Member" or if you're a Student
Ward "Alumni".

The start of the year, when your financial clerk
is scrambling looking for addresses to send
people their Tax Statements for donations made
in your ward, print out this list with all the new
addresses on it. You'll have a new best friend.

- Atticus Ewig

atticusewig
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:48 am

Group Journaling with Resource Calendars

Postby atticusewig » Mon May 07, 2007 11:55 am

Ah, the ever versatile resource calendar,
you don't still use them just to schedule
buildings do you ?

Here's the trick:

Use them like a Ward Blog (albeit a moderated on).
A member submits his diary entry as a calendar
item.
Possible journal entries:

"Missionary experiences" - When one occurs, people
submit it to the calendar, so it can be shared by all
and help strengthen testimonies.

"Youth Activities" - You can have youth "blog" their
experiences at youth conference, scouting, etc.

"Big Events" - Births, baptisms, ordinations, and marriages can be
big events in a person's life. Why not let them share their feelings
and impressions on the website ?

The nice thing about using resource calendars as journals is that
when it is time to compile an Annual History, you have the History
at your fingertips.

- Atticus Ewig

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20781
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon May 07, 2007 11:55 am

atticusewig wrote:So here's the trick:


You can try. I've seen that before where names of departed members show up, but if you keep poking around the site, the list seems to rebuild itself and the names will disappear.

In other words, I'm not sure as the bug is reliable enough to be exploited for other purposes. :D

margiestroble
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 am
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Postby margiestroble » Mon May 07, 2007 11:57 am

atticusewig wrote:I stumbled up this when looking at another
website in our Stake with a less-than-dillegent
Admin.

Turns out that someone moved out of his
ward several months ago, but was still
listed as holding a calling. And guess
what ? It listed that person's new
contact information.

So here's the trick:

When you find out that someone is about to move,
give them a calling on the Ward Website.
I recommend the Other Category with a Calling
name like "Former Member" or if you're a Student
Ward "Alumni".

The start of the year, when your financial clerk
is scrambling looking for addresses to send
people their Tax Statements for donations made
in your ward, print out this list with all the new
addresses on it. You'll have a new best friend.

- Atticus Ewig


Sounds interesting! I know that when you add someone for a calling, it shows their full legal name and DOB, but it does not show their address or email address, so where do you get the new contact info at?


Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest