Broadcast email question

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

BDalton wrote:As ward web admin, when I send a broadcast email, it appears to the recipient as if I am personally sending them an email. I have begun including some text in the body of the message that specifies the message is being sent to all ward members from the web site, but this is still not always very clear. Is there some way to change the return address so it shows up as coming from something like "ElkRidge3rdWard@LDS.org" instead of from my personal email address?
The answer to the question is no - you cannot redirect or change the 'reply to' address. This issue of a web administrator's personal e-mail address being used in the header as the sender for broadcast messages has been discussed in other threads - I just can't find them. There are many of us web administrators hoping the next revision to the LUWS will handle this differently.

My solution has been to create a disposable web mail account and enter that in my LUWS user profile. That doesn't take care of the LUWS broadcast messages using my registered e-mail address. But if problems arise because of it I can discontinue the address, create another, enter the new address in my user profile, and proceed on without my ISP e-mail address getting entangled in any messy situations.

I also include a notice in all broadcast messages that says "Please do not reply to this message. It was sent as part of the stake broadcast messaging system and uses my, the web administrator's, personal e-mail address for a return address. Please direct correspondence to the person identified in the body of the message."
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
zaneclark

Attachments in Email Brooadcast

Post by zaneclark »

Our ward Relief Society would like to use the email broadcast to send out their monthly newsletter to the sisters. As the broadcast emails do not seem to allow any kind of attachments, what are the alternatives for helping them with this problem? We have to keep the RS happy!:)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Our ward Relief Society would like to use the email broadcast to send out their monthly newsletter to the sisters. As the broadcast emails do not seem to allow any kind of attachments, what are the alternatives for helping them with this problem? We have to keep the RS happy!:)
One idea is to put the whole newsletter in a PDF attachment to a News and Information item on the LUWS. Then the broadcast e-mail can include a summary of the newsletter content, and also a link to the news item on LUWS.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Alan_Brown wrote:One idea is to put the whole newsletter in a PDF attachment to a News and Information item on the LUWS. Then the broadcast e-mail can include a summary of the newsletter content, and also a link to the news item on LUWS.
Thank you! That should work! I should have thought of this but that's the reason for this forum so people like me can get help from people like you......
showseason-p40

Almost Ready

Post by showseason-p40 »

I guess it's almost time to try the broadcast email feature. Presently (as Ward Executive Secretary) I send out emails to Ward Council, PEC and other groups from a personal email account. I have been hearing the pros and cons of using the system. My one big remaining question is: how do the leadership check boxes determine who gets the email? Does it look at the web site leaderhip directory and use email addys there or go by registered addresses only? Oh yes, failed to mention I am the ward web admin guy.
Thanks
Al
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

showseason wrote:I guess it's almost time to try the broadcast email feature. Presently (as Ward Executive Secretary) I send out emails to Ward Council, PEC and other groups from a personal email account. I have been hearing the pros and cons of using the system. My one big remaining question is: how do the leadership check boxes determine who gets the email? Does it look at the web site leaderhip directory and use email addys there or go by registered addresses only? Oh yes, failed to mention I am the ward web admin guy.
Thanks
Al
Al,
When an individual signs up for an account on the LUWS they choose which areas they are interested in by checking a series of boxes in the membership profile on the LUWS. Let's say a member of the Elders Quorum is interested in news items pertaining to that group, he would check the corresponding box. The same thing goes for other areas of interest.

The main problem with this selection is that members often forget to change their selections when they change a calling. If a former Bishop forgets to make another selection after he's released then he continues to receive Email sent to all the Bishops.

Aside from this the choice of what Email a member receives is up to the individual member and can be changed by the member editing their user profiles after they login.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Which email function are you referring to? There's the broadcast that's available in the web admin mode (which techgy has described), and then there's the "email leadership" function. The last one is not a broadcast per se, and if you click on it, you'll see who it will be sent to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
showseason-p40

Post by showseason-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:Which email function are you referring to? There's the broadcast that's available in the web admin mode (which techgy has described), and then there's the "email leadership" function. The last one is not a broadcast per se, and if you click on it, you'll see who it will be sent to.
Sorry I was not clearer and thanks for the responses. I was asking about the leadership broadcasts and from RussellHtlm's note I did click on the various leadrship boxes and do see who they will go to. So it appears that those slated to receive those emails are those you (or an admin) have specified in the leadership listings on the web sites. I found it interesting that one member of the activities committee who did not have an email icon by her name still was listed on the broadcast email, assuming it was because she was a registered user and the email addy was picked up from there?

If a person listed in the leadership has a email icon but is not registered as a user, do they still get the broadcast email?
Thanks
Al
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

showseason wrote:Sorry I was not clearer and thanks for the responses. I was asking about the leadership broadcasts and from RussellHtlm's note I did click on the various leadrship boxes and do see who they will go to. So it appears that those slated to receive those emails are those you (or an admin) have specified in the leadership listings on the web sites. I found it interesting that one member of the activities committee who did not have an email icon by her name still was listed on the broadcast email, assuming it was because she was a registered user and the email addy was picked up from there?

If a person listed in the leadership has a email icon but is not registered as a user, do they still get the broadcast email?
Thanks
Al
Al,

If you use the "Leadership" area of the LUWS and click on "Sunday School" you are shown a list of those leaders in the ward/stake that you're currently visiting. At the right side of the listing is a link that says "Email Sunday School" - or whatever area you're in. Click on this link and you see an Email that's generated with the Email addresses of those in the SS leadership who have Email. As far as I know these are the only people to whom your message is sent.

If, on the other hand, you enable your Adminstrator function (green background) and click on Email Broadcast and subsequently choose the areas that you wish to broadcast to, the Email that is sent goes to those who have selected the boxes for the areas you have chosen.
Registration as a user does not control whether they receive your Email. If their name and Email address is listed in the leadership area, they get your Email.
Registration as a user only gives the user the ability to login into the LUWS.

Does this answer your question?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:Al,
When an individual signs up for an account on the LUWS they choose which areas they are interested in by checking a series of boxes in the membership profile on the LUWS. Let's say a member of the Elders Quorum is interested in news items pertaining to that group, he would check the corresponding box. The same thing goes for other areas of interest.

The main problem with this selection is that members often forget to change their selections when they change a calling. If a former Bishop forgets to make another selection after he's released then he continues to receive Email sent to all the Bishops.

Aside from this the choice of what Email a member receives is up to the individual member and can be changed by the member editing their user profiles after they login.
This is a confusing example -- I wonder if you are conflating the concept of a user registering to receive mail related to an organization for calendar events and e-mail broadcasts with the ability to send mail to a section of the Leadership Directory.

There is no way to choose to receive e-mail sent to Bishops -- the LUWS only allows users to register to receive mail related to certain organizations (HP, Elders, RS, YM, YW, Primary, SA, YSA, or all) in the Notification Options of their User Profile. So a bishop might choose to receive messages sent to all organizations, but so might anyone else in the ward. It's no big deal if he neglects to change his selection after being released; he'll just continue to receive all such messages.

On the other hand, those members who are specified as holding callings in the Leadership Directory can be sent e-mail either individually or for the entire section of the Leadership Directory (e.g., Bishopric). But this has nothing to do with the Notification Options in the User Profile. It is the responsibility of the Ward LUWS Administrator to change the Leadership Directory as callings change.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”