Administrator's Comments on Resources

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
pbhanney
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: Lehi, Utah, USA

Administrator's Comments on Resources

Postby pbhanney » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:17 pm

We have noticed that on our resources section of LUWS that there are "Administrator's Comments." We have also noticed that if we put anything in there and save it, it does not save. The only thing we can come up with is that field is only for when people submit something online and then the administrator can then send a comment back to them. Is this correct or should it be saving the Administrator's comments? If it is the former, this would be a great suggestion for the next LUWS.

(If this thread should be in the LUWS' wishlist, then please move it there if need be).

Thanks!

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:01 pm

That is interesting. Our ward and stake web sites have no such thing.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14692
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:48 pm

pbhanney wrote:We have noticed that on our resources section of LUWS that there are "Administrator's Comments." We have also noticed that if we put anything in there and save it, it does not save. The only thing we can come up with is that field is only for when people submit something online and then the administrator can then send a comment back to them. Is this correct or should it be saving the Administrator's comments? If it is the former, this would be a great suggestion for the next LUWS.

(If this thread should be in the LUWS' wishlist, then please move it there if need be).

Thanks!


The Administrator Comments are used for calendar event and resouce scheduling requests. As the site administrator reviews pending requests, this is one of the available fields. When the administrator approves or rejects such requests, he can fill in the Administrator Comments field with clarifying information (the reason why the request was rejected, or a friendly confirmation message when the request is approved).

The Administrator Comments are then included in the e-mail message that is sent to the requester, immediately after the request is approved or denied. The comments are not saved anywhere. In the case of denial, there is no place to save comments, even if it were desirable, because the pending event was deleted and is completely gone.

On the other hand, if the event is approved, I'm not sure what the point of saving the administrator comments would be. They are intended to be a message to the requester, which is a transitory bit of information. If there is anything that needs to be permanently associated with the event, it would probably be better to edit the event description itself (which the adminstrator has the option to do as part of the approval process).

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14692
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:55 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:The Administrator Comments are used for calendar event and resouce scheduling requests. As the site administrator reviews pending requests, this is one of the available fields. When the administrator approves or rejects such requests, he can fill in the Administrator Comments field with clarifying information (the reason why the request was rejected, or a friendly confirmation message when the request is approved).

The Administrator Comments are then included in the e-mail message that is sent to the requester, immediately after the request is approved or denied. The comments are not saved anywhere. In the case of denial, there is no place to save comments, even if it were desirable, because the pending event was deleted and is completely gone.


Oh, and one other place the Administrator Comments show up -- if an administrator deletes a previously approved event or resource schedule, the Administrator Comments field must be filled in. In this situation, the requester will also be sent an e-mail about the deletion which will include the comments field -- even if the deletion occurs long after the event was scheduled.

pbhanney
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: Lehi, Utah, USA

Postby pbhanney » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:50 am

Alan_Brown wrote: . . .I'm not sure what the point of saving the administrator comments would be.


The person who in charge of the resource of our building would like to put information for himself or other administrators in a field that would not be shown on the details for everyone to see (i.e. person who requested if not submitted electronically, etc.).

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6139
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:05 pm

pbhanney wrote:The person who in charge of the resource of our building would like to put information for himself or other administrators in a field that would not be shown on the details for everyone to see (i.e. person who requested if not submitted electronically, etc.).


I do not know of any way to do this currently in LUWS.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20757
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:On the other hand, if the event is approved, I'm not sure what the point of saving the administrator comments would be.


It might be nice for one admin to leave a note for the other when they make a change. Or even a note to one's self when a leader other then the original submitter requests a change. I can see lots of uses for it.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14692
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:03 pm

RussellHltn wrote:It might be nice for one admin to leave a note for the other when they make a change. Or even a note to one's self when a leader other then the original submitter requests a change. I can see lots of uses for it.


I can see that kind of field being useful, but I was trying to clarify the current Administrator Comments field. What we have now would more precisely be labeled "Administrator Comments to be sent to the submitter" and that's quite a different thing than "Administrative notes", which is more of what you are describing.

pbhanney
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: Lehi, Utah, USA

Postby pbhanney » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:51 pm

OK, so for now it seems this thread is basically closed. We know that for the time being that the Administrator Comments are used to send information to the people who submitted the request. However, in the future of LUWS it would be great to have something like what was suggested. Thanks to everyone for clarifying this information.


Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest