Membership Directory on blackberry

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jonboy74-p40

Membership Directory on blackberry

Post by jonboy74-p40 »

Is it just me, or there issues with accessing the membership directory in the ward websites through a blackberry. It tells me I am not a member of the ward and will not display the directory. Yet the same username and password work just fine in a regular browser.
Are there any specific mobile applications for accessing membership information? Is there a mobile side to lds.org?
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

There is a problem with the site using a mobile device when trying to login. We have looked into fixing it, but it looks like this will not be fixed until a new version of the web site is released and I do not know when this will be.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

DJC wrote:There is a problem with the site using a mobile device when trying to login.
Is it a cookies problem, or are you at liberty to say?
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

I haven't found a way to make it work. If you don't mind yanking down the data try this tiny app at http://www.thecoffeys.net/yanceyware/ULotR/
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

lajackson wrote:Is it a cookies problem, or are you at liberty to say?

It's not a cookies issue. It is actually a coding issue with our back end. We are running on an older platform for stake and ward web sites. We are waiting for it to be rewritten on a newer platform. I don't have an exact date as to when this will be complete, but developers are more focused toward the new stuff rather than retrofitting the old version.

I hope that helps.
opee

Post by opee »

daddy-o wrote:I haven't found a way to make it work. If you don't mind yanking down the data try this tiny app at http://www.thecoffeys.net/yanceyware/ULotR/

daddy-o, is there a way to get Unit List on the Run to work on the BB? I tried to copy the HTML files to my SD card on my BB, but was unable to point to the files through the browser. Do you have a trick to make it work? I am using MobiPocket instead of Yanceyware or iSilo on my BB. I didn't think the last two worked on a BB.
fishmister

BlackBerry Ward List and Home Teaching Assignments

Post by fishmister »

I wrote an basic web page application using PHP and MySQL. If any one is interested I will get a test site with dummy data for a demo. Makes it nice for leadership/techies to look up phone number and address on the go with out having them in your BlackBerry contact list. I don't want to accidentally call Frank from work when looking for Frank from church. :p

Here are the steps required to make it work:
1. You have to export the Ward list from lds.org to and save to a .csv file.
2. Upload to the web server.
3. Browse to the web page and it will display A - Z links and retrieve the ward list by last name. If you click on A you get all the members who's last name begins with an A. It also lists their children.
4. Security - I have the directory block with a username and password. So the world doesn't have access to my Ward's contact info.

I also wrote one to display Home Teaching assignments, but you have to have access to the Ward Computer and have privileges to export the Home Teaching data.

I hope soon the Church website will have all these tools online. It would me real nice to update Home Teaching assignments online instead of driving to the Church house every time you need to change something.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

fishmister wrote:I hope soon the Church website will have all these tools online. It would me real nice to update Home Teaching assignments online instead of driving to the Church house every time you need to change something.
Just search/browse around the Forums and you will see this is already under way...and the community is building it.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

fishmister wrote:Here are the steps required to make it work:
1. You have to export the Ward list from lds.org to and save to a .csv file.
2. Upload to the web server.
3. Browse to the web page and it will display A - Z links and retrieve the ward list by last name. If you click on A you get all the members who's last name begins with an A. It also lists their children.
4. Security - I have the directory block with a username and password. So the world doesn't have access to my Ward's contact info.
Data obtained in the manner described and uploaded to a server is not approved by the Church and can create problems for the Church. Take a look at the Ward Mapspost by Tom Welch.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
fishmister

Post by fishmister »

Understood.

Please come up with a mobile device website then! Can't be hard onces the security is figured out. Just echo plain text to the screen with minimal html formating. Don't need all the image design on a mobile device.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”