Returned Emails

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
zaneclark

Returned Emails

Post by zaneclark »

think I saw something about this earlier when I didn't need it but now I do. This concerns returned emails from a"broadcast" from particular providers, in this case Earthlink. I recently broadcast an emaill to the stake and all of the Earthlink addresses were returned. I believe I read about this problem but can't find it in the past threads. What is the solution?..
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

That is probably what I remember reading but they don't help me with Earthlink...
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I still need a solution as to how to get the earthlink addresses to accept email from the broadcast. I suppose I could send them a private email suggesting that they obtain a gmail, hotmail or yahoo address, but that seems a little too much to ask.

techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I can't quote you any specific set of details, but being a former Earthlink user I can say that Earthlink uses a spam blocking routine that can be set to various levels. When an unknown user sends an Email to an Earthlink user who has this protection enabled, the sender of the Email receives a notice back that they need to fill out a special form that then gets sent back to the Earthlink customer identifying the sender.

The idea behind this is that every Email is considered junk mail unless the sender is identified. The best solution would be to contact those in the ward/stake who use Earthlink and ask that they add your Email address to their list of accepted Email addresses. You might also post a brief notice on the ward bulletin boards advising members of the problem and giving them your Email address. If your notice contained some urging telling them that they are missing out on important announcements about ward/stake activities, it might carry more weight.

The other option you already mentioned would be to have them set up a special Gmail, or other free account, which I agree would probably never get used.

I have been away from Earthlink (too expensive) for a few years and it's possible that they have added something else that I'm not aware of. But, this is how it used to work.

;)
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

Techgy wrote:I can't quote you any specific set of details, but being a former Earthlink user I can say that Earthlink uses a spam blocking routine that can be set to various levels. When an unknown user sends an Email to an Earthlink user who has this protection enabled, the sender of the Email receives a notice back that they need to fill out a special form that then gets sent back to the Earthlink customer identifying the sender. .....;)
I have had Earthlink (formerly Netcom) for about 13 years or so now and with the webmail feature, where you can change your settings, if subscribers have "Suspect Email" or "Suspect Spam" turned on, everyone that is not in their address book will get that notice asking them to fill out a special form just as was said above. That does get annoying, doesn't it?

Anyway, if you let all of the Earthlink users know to turn that feature off, then anyone can send them email from the webpage. If they only add the admins into their address book, that wouldn't help if someone else tried emailing them from the webpage.

Margie

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”