Updating Ward websites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cognifloyd wrote:Calling LUS to get access was entirely fruitless, as the classic site is "unsupported".

Hmmm. That doesn't sound right. I'd get a member of the stake presidency to call and ask to escalate the issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cognifloyd wrote:OK, next time I get a request about the classic website, maybe I'll come back here and get those details. Calling LUS to get access was entirely fruitless, as the classic site is "unsupported".

Since it appears from rereading the thread that you do not have administrator access to one or more of your ward sites, and since LUS cannot give you access (they really cannot), here is how to do it if you wish.

Two stake administrators need to work together. When a stake administrator is added to the stake site, the administrator will flow down to each of the ward sites. So the workaround is as follows.

Stake Admin A deletes Stake Admin B, and then adds Stake Admin B again to the stake site. This will cause Stake Admin B to be added to the new ward(s). Stake Admin B can then go into the new ward(s) site and add a Ward Admin or two.

After the dust settles, if Stake Admin B deletes Stake Admin A, and then adds Stake Admin A again to the stake site, Stake Admin A will also flow to the new ward(s) site, and there will be two stake admins to assist the ward.

This also works if a Ward Admin manages to delete all of the Ward and Stake Admins at the ward site, which they can (but should not) do under LUWS.

Coordinate the effort carefully. The last thing you need is for both Stake Admins to disappear. Fixing that requires a fax from the stake president to Church headquarters to add a new Stake Admin to the stake site.

I noticed that you said you are the Stake Administrator. There ought to be two of you, because you can make a mistake at LUWS and delete yourself as an Admin. Having another Admin lets you fix that without having to take other extraordinary measures.

I speak from experience. [grin]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Two stake administrators need to work together.

That's assuming you have a stake admin. (If you have one, then you can add a second.)

If there is no stake admin (which is what I thought was going on), then CHQ will have to add one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:That's assuming you have a stake admin. (If you have one, then you can add a second.)

If there is no stake admin (which is what I thought was going on), then CHQ will have to add one.
That is true. If there is no stake admin, the stake president will need to send a letter/fax to get one added. But cognifloyd said,
cognifloyd wrote:Yah, I'm the Stake Website Administrator, and I've turned off as much as I can.

So I think he may be operational and able to add another Stake Admin that will flow to the ward.
MerrillDL

Post by MerrillDL »

JohnShaw wrote:Although it really is to bad that there isn't a Ward Website, or a Stake Website that is a central location, like there was (or is technically)

Actually, there is. It's in beta right now, but is available for use right now. Go to beta.lds.org/member-news. It can be the repository for current events and other happenings for the ward.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

MerrillDL wrote:Actually, there is. It's in beta right now, but is available for use right now. Go to beta.lds.org/member-news. It can be the repository for current events and other happenings for the ward.
Well, that's a matter of opinion. The Newsletter application that you linked to is a good replacement for the News and Information section of the Classic Ward and Stake Websites. But I don't see how it replaces the way that the Classic site functioned as a central location. The Tools menu links the apps that are there, but it doesn't really provide that functionality either.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
MainTour

Post by MainTour »

It seems that a lot of other websites already link directly to various stake and ward home landing pages. If LUWS gets turned off, will LDS.org not at least be creating a redirect to the New LUWS homepage for each unit?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”