Classic Website's membership directory vs new membership directory

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
josephchild

Classic Website's membership directory vs new membership directory

Post by josephchild »

In our ward, we have a member that appears on the classic ward website's membership directory, that does NOT appear in the newer membership directory tool. Are the databases out of sync? and How would we sync these up? And which is the more correct of the 2 databases?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

josephchild wrote:In our ward, we have a member that appears on the classic ward website's membership directory, that does NOT appear in the newer membership directory tool. Are the databases out of sync? and How would we sync these up? And which is the more correct of the 2 databases?
The base membership list is the same for both the classic site and the new Directory. There is no difference -- they come from the same source. There may be slight differences in timing of processing as members move in or out of the ward. There is also a difference in how nonmember records are handled. However, the privacy settings for those two sites are handled entirely differently, which may affect which members actually appear in each directory, depending on the settings for each household, and the calling of the person who is viewing the directory.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
josephchild

Post by josephchild »

So I may not be seeing everyone in the new directory? Part of my calling is to update our ward mailing list for announcements and such. Should I be using the classic list to build my email list, instead of the export household option on the new directory? How can I tell if my permissions need to be modified? And who, would I go through to get this modified?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can find some of the answers to your questions in Directory roles and responsibilities

It's not clear if the Ward Website Admin has rights to see hidden profiles. I'm sure the others can.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

josephchild wrote:Should I be using the classic list to build my email list, instead of the export household option on the new directory?
I would strongly discourage anyone from embarking on any new procedure using the classic website. It will not be with us much longer (no specific retirement date has been announced, but it will be relatively soon), so you will be much better off using the new directory.
josephchild wrote:How can I tell if my permissions need to be modified? And who, would I go through to get this modified?
Your permissions can't be modified in this regard, except by giving you a different standard calling, such as an assistant ward clerk. And if you are not actually serving as an assistant ward clerk, you shouldn't be given such a calling. Members who have chosen to hide their profile probably shouldn't be included in email lists, anyway, so it's appropriate that you can't see them.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

josephchild wrote:In our ward, we have a member that appears on the classic ward website's membership directory, that does NOT appear in the newer membership directory tool.
As suggested previously, it could be a member's privacy setting. Realize that there have been occasions when these have changed for individuals, when the individual has NOT selected it to be private. See this post. It happened to my own profile, and I know I didn't set it to private, nor did my clerk. Now, when someone "disappears" from our ward directory, I suspect the privacy settings.
greggo

Post by greggo »

If it's truly all members for whom mailing info is needed, I would avoid using the online directory and get the info directly from MLS. For this, one would need to have the appropriate rights and the bishop's permission.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

greggo wrote:If it's truly all members for whom mailing info is needed, I would avoid using the online directory and get the info directly from MLS. For this, one would need to have the appropriate rights and the bishop's permission.
Since this thread deals with an email list, I don't see why you would want to use MLS. Sure, MLS could do it, but that requires permissions and physical access, when the online tools have all the information that is needed, available from home or anywhere with an Internet connection. In addition, MLS has no idea what the privacy settings are, and I would think that any use of email lists should honor those privacy settings, not ignore them.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I echo aebrown's suggestion not to use MLS output for a email listing you are going to keep separately from LDS.org, for the privacy reason. MLS has no way to "hide" information a member has instructed you to keep private, while LDS.org tools honor the members wishes. So, you must do it yourself by asking each member if you can use their email for whatever you will use it for.

While the rest of this post deviates from the OP question, I would further question the need for the original reason for the question anyway. Why do you need to build an email listing outside of the church's LDS.org system, instead of encouraging your members to use the LDS.org system? Considering:
  • Newsletter toolis in beta testing, to be released at some point
  • Privacy features are already built-in, and complies with local laws
  • members and leaders can update a members information online from any computer or at the clerk's office
  • LDS.org maintains the data safely, which your private listing may not...
  • Moving members are automatically added and deleted as records are transferred
And perhaps the biggest reason NOT to maintain your own newsletter list?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”