News Item vs Email Broadcast

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
zaneclark

News Item vs Email Broadcast

Post by zaneclark »

I'm going to start posting news items about ward members as has been suggested but I have a question... What is the advantage of posting sometihing as a News item as opposed to broadcasting an email to al members? When you post the news item, you can elect to send an email to all members telling them that a news item has been posted, with the url to open the message. If you send it as a broadcast email, all member get the same item without the need to open the web site. I realize that if it is a news item, it will stay on the site until removed, but why does it need to be on the site if everyone gets an email?
Anyway, what do think about this? I know this isn't as exciting as mapping the ward membership but I'm curious about what others are doing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Putting it on the site makes it easier to reference at a later date.
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

Our Sunday School teacher posts his quotes from his lessons on the News Section and I also post the Ward Map there too.

In addition,

I have used the email broadcast a few times, once when we had a snow day and church was canceled (well we had sacrament for about 20 minutes and then left). It worked great.

BenJoe
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I'm going to start posting news items about ward members as has been suggested but I have a question... What is the advantage of posting sometihing as a News item as opposed to broadcasting an email to al members? When you post the news item, you can elect to send an email to all members telling them that a news item has been posted, with the url to open the message. If you send it as a broadcast email, all member get the same item without the need to open the web site. I realize that if it is a news item, it will stay on the site until removed, but why does it need to be on the site if everyone gets an email?
News Items have some advantages:
  • They can have photos and other attachments
  • Since the list of e-mail addresses of registered users is not static, it provides content in a way that will still be available for people who register for the site or correct their addresses at some point after you send the e-mail.
  • News items are also always available to all registered users, even though we know that some mail never gets through because of spam filters, blacklists, and of course bad e-mail addresses.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

BenJoeM wrote:Our Sunday School teacher posts his quotes from his lessons on the News Section and I also post the Ward Map there too.

In addition,

I have used the email broadcast a few times, once when we had a snow day and church was canceled (well we had sacrament for about 20 minutes and then left). It worked great.

BenJoe
I know there are threads on mapping but what is the format for your ward map?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”