Blocked emails from Church website

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

JamesAnderson wrote:Putting in place the SPF's are considered 'best practices' in mail server administration. I've seen discussion of the subject of SPF's elsewhere, and implementing SPF's allow the legitimat email to get through while the spammer, who often spoofs email addresses, does not.
This is one of the problems we've been experiencing. Our email server is being seen as a spoofing server because it needs some certificates or something installed that would allow other ISPs know we are legit. This in conjunction with the send-only alias in the "from" address (that actually has the email server's domain in the email address) and the web master's email in the "reply-to" address will hopefully help a lot towards getting emails through the proper, best-practice ISP email protection protocols to the user's inbox. All three of these solutions are being implemented and will be deployed hopefully this month.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:We are working on getting a send-only email address alias created and using the Web Master's email address in the "reply to" section. This will hopefully be released within the month.
Excellent!
121887mattandjulie

Rejected email ISP's growing

Post by 121887mattandjulie »

Just about every msn or hotmail address in my ward is being blocked over 25 users, that is almost a third. Please post a note as soon as you "think" you have a solution so we can test & provide feedback. In the meantime I will post a notice in our ward bulletin about the problem & ask members to check the calendar & news sections routinely. Obviously the fact one server sends it out with a return address of the administrator is what is making everyone think this is SPAM. Until notified of a fix I will discontinue sending out notices to members. Thank you!;)
opee

Our are bouncing too

Post by opee »

Our Stake is also having issues with returned "SPAM" from Hotmail accounts through the broadcast email.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

Maybe it's all the same, but our CES (@ldsces.org) mail is also getting rejected by msn and hotmail. These aren't group messages, but ones with single recipients and no attachments.
ShirtsDre

Blacklist issues

Post by ShirtsDre »

We have run into some blacklist issues this week. They,for the most part, should be resolved. Additional work is being done to make the email system function better.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
121887mattandjulie

Much Better but issues still

I have been testing using my son's msn email account by going into the Admin - Registered users list & sending him messages from the web site. We have added my email address to his msn address book but still every thing I send him from the web site goes into his junk email folder, even after right clicking on option to indicate "This is not Junk Mail", successive messages still go there. Apparently the Safe sender option is grayed out indicating it is a safe sender by default of being in his address book. Any one have any ideas on how to keep these messages out of the members junk email folders:confused:

Wish we could add the server that sends them out from CHQ to the safe senders list. I know this is still a problem with MSN accounts and likely hotmail, not sure about any other ISP but atleast the mail is now going through & not being returned. Now the fun part, training members to go through their junk mail folders daily with this in mind.

Any help on keeping legitimate email out of junk mail folders would be appreciated; you would think if the email has a return address of someone in the address book it would be accepted as legitimate unless the user marks it as junk email at which time they could flag all email from the originating server as junk until changed by user by selecting it as a safe sender. Sounds to me they are being overly aggressive & not providing the user's "Free Agency".:(
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Neutron Flux wrote:I have been testing using my son's msn email account by going into the Admin - Registered users list & sending him messages from the web site. ... Sounds to me they are being overly aggressive & not providing the user's "Free Agency".:(
No, the problem is the email is arriving with your email address, but it's not coming from the church servers, not your email's servers. It's not at all uncommon for a virus to grab all the emails in a users machine and spend spam while spoofing the return address. 90%+ of the time, if the sender's claimed email address doesn't match the sending server, it's spam.
pbarrus

Post by pbarrus »

Once I contacted Comcast and supplied 216.49.176.51 and 216.49.176.52 as legit IP addresses, I have not had Comcast messages bounce. So, if anyone has this problem in the future, just let them know. It only took that one request to stop the blockage of mail from the Church.

Thanks for all the discussions!! I'm always learning something and the Church is learning the issues we have to deal with out here "in the field."

Sister Phyl
121887mattandjulie

Rejected & Junk folder filing of website email notifications

I posted a couple of suggestions on how to fix this problem on a more permanent basis in the below thread, if you have a better idea please post. http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=593&page=11
;)

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”