Linux Version?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
lds.trooper-p40

Linux Version?

Post by lds.trooper-p40 »

Just wondering if there is any thought towards making a downloadable or purchase version of the scriptures much like this, but for use in Linux. I am an Ubuntu user and would enjoy having the scriptures on my desktop as well as online.

Thanks!
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

There are 3rd Party (Not church affiliated) programs that do supply the scriptures on the computer and have reasonable functionality. In addition there are some that are usable on Linux natively or through Java.

A community project is Scripture Study Plus that is Java based but not ready yet.
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

lds.trooper wrote:Just wondering if there is any thought towards making a downloadable or purchase version of the scriptures much like this, but for use in Linux. I am an Ubuntu user and would enjoy having the scriptures on my desktop as well as online.

Thanks!
I doubt the Church would dedicate time to such a project on their own dime and time. It just wouldn't be worth it to reach out to a small minority, unless the code was already written portable enough. However, I think it's a great idea for an open-source project. In fact, there is already a project or two about doing a web and/or cross-platform scripture study program. The thread is [thread=113]here[/thread].
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

The current focus for this product is to provide more languages however I've been in discussions about the future of the product and it is entirely possible that in the future it would be provided in a cross platform format. I don't have any guarantees or promises but there is a glimmer of hope for all Linux users...which I am one.

Tom
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

lds.trooper wrote:Just wondering if there is any thought towards making a downloadable or purchase version of the scriptures much like this, but for use in Linux. I am an Ubuntu user and would enjoy having the scriptures on my desktop as well as online.

Thanks!
In the mean time, before something new becomes available, there are a couple of potential solutions, as long as you're just wanting the scripture text and not a polished GUI application program.

1) If you can get hold of the old floppy-based product the Church used to sell, I would be happy to send you a C program that decompresses the actual scripture content into a plain text file. It does not handle cross references or other footnotes. From there, you can grep it, etc. I also have a Perl script that greps the text file and produces reasonably formatted verses.

2) It should be very easy to use wget and an HTML parser to download the text from the Church web site and process it into whatever format you want. If you can't find an HTML parser you like, I'd be happy to share mine in case it would be useful.

Hope that helps.
lds.trooper-p40

Post by lds.trooper-p40 »

Wow! Thank you so much for the excellent replies. Thank you also for the offer of the help to obtain the text, please let me look into this further?

I find it interesting that Linux is still seen as a small minority, and perhaps it is. I will look into the threads mentioned as well.

Happy New Years guys and may the Lord guide us safely.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

lds.trooper wrote:Just wondering if there is any thought towards making a downloadable or purchase version of the scriptures much like this, but for use in Linux. I am an Ubuntu user and would enjoy having the scriptures on my desktop as well as online.!
One other possible solution that's not mentioned is to use WINE windows emulator for Linux. The reason I say possible is because not everything will run on it, but it does get better all the time from what I read.

It may be available via your update utility or you can go to the official website at http://www.winehq.org/
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I tried with Wine but during installation an error occur and no way to install it.
The error say something like 'run only with windows'. I tried several months ago with OpenSUSE 10.2 and Wine included in that version.
I tried to setup Wine with different Windows versions but the result was always the same.
So give it back.
Now I have OpenSUSE 10.3 with Wine 0.9.44 but no willing to test it cause there's an online version!
poulsone

Post by poulsone »

I have used lds-get, a utility to download the html scriptures and other content from lds.org

http://www.nathanbullock.org/nathan/lds-get/
marianomarini

It works!

Post by marianomarini »

Just for my love for community I try to install LDS Scriptures on my OpenSUSE 10.3 with Wine 0.9.44.
Put CD into drive. Run setup.exe.
Waiting for some errors. None! Maybe they will arise later. When it run.
Installation complete! Wow.
Let's start. Run ... (crossing fingers)
With my great wonder it works very well indeed!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”