Scripture API?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I did find my WebCloner program. And it appears to have trouble with the Online Scriptures site. Almost all of the links are to some folder and an index.html is assumed the page in that directory. In college, I didn't write my code to account for that as I didn't see that as usual. I'll have to dive into the code and modify it a little and try again.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Hmm our test cases did not cover sufficiently, I'll have to talk with Dr. Rodham about that. :D
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thedqs wrote:Hmm our test cases did not cover sufficiently, I'll have to talk with Dr. Rodham about that. :D
You are/were a TA for CS 240?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mkmurray wrote:You are/were a TA for CS 240?
From just a glance at my code, I'm not sure where my logic is messed up for the link structure the Church uses. Perhaps you have an idea. We should chat via IM or email.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Yes, I am a TA for CS 240 (until the end of this semester) and will most likely return to TAing for CS 240 in the Fall.

As for chatting, do you use Yahoo or MSN?
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thedqs wrote:Yes, I am a TA for CS 240 (until the end of this semester) and will most likely return to TAing for CS 240 in the Fall.

As for chatting, do you use Yahoo or MSN?
I'll PM and/or email you. My information is in my profile.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Ok sounds good.
- David
Mr. M-p40

Ajax

Post by Mr. M-p40 »

Maybe it has already been suggested but I think that it would be incredibly helpful to put the cross-refernces in simple AJAX-type call so that someone could mouse over them and see them instantly instead of clicking and leaving the page. There is not quick back button here also, I know "Show Verse in Context" takes you back after viewing the footnotes but I think the mouse over would be easier and you could still include a click to full page view in the pop-up.

I think that would be a huge enhancement.
crolse

Post by crolse »

For those stumbling on this thread, there is now a current XML/JSON API for the scriptures, and the rest of the gospel library. Here is the thread
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crolse wrote:For those stumbling on this thread, there is now a current XML/JSON API for the scriptures, and the rest of the gospel library. Here is the thread
That very long thread doesn't have a link to any publicly usable API for "the scriptures and the rest of the gospel library". There's a reference to http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_Web_Service in this post, but that article clearly states that this API is to be used only "by official LDS Church applications." There's also a reference to a scriptures-only API in this post, but that API only uses public-domain versions of the scriptures, and thus will not have the rich content (footnotes, etc.) of the LDS versions of the scriptures, and certainly won't give access to the rest of the gospel library.

So which API are you referring to?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”