Church website -- Notes Tool not showing up

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
ljosbon

Church website -- Notes Tool not showing up

Post by ljosbon »

Hi All,

About 1 week ago I found a problem with the desktop version of the Notes tool on the Church Website. It continues to work well on the Android platform but on windows desktop log in and access Notes and it will for about 1 second show my notes and then it disappears.

I usually use Firefox as a browser. The same thing happens if I use Chrome or Edge so the problem would seem to be at the Church website.

I use the Notes section or tool extensively for my daily scripture study. I hope that someone can fix this or suggest a solution.

Warm regards,
Brother Osbon
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Church website -- Notes Tool not showing up

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you going to Study.ChurchofJesusChrist.org, and clicking Notes, or are you trying to go directly to Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

Thank you for the reply.

I usually go to the account under Leaders Resources and over to notes. I checked out the two URL you cited and both times the same thing happened. My notes would appear for 1 or 2 seconds and then disappear altogether.

I am not sure what is happening. I hope a fix can be found. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Try highlighting a section of text and see what happens. I noticed that "notes" wanted me to log in despite the fact the page header showed me as already being logged in.

Probably another glitch in the move from lds.org to churchofjesuschrist.org.

But if they appear and then disappear, it sounds like they've been "turned off" and you need to find the icon to turn them back on again.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

I will try your suggestions and I tried on a different computer but still the same. My notes come up for only 1 to 2 seconds and then the panel disappears to nothing with just the Church header, etc.

My challenge is having enough time to highlight the notes on the desktop. It disappears too quickly. It still has been working on my Android phone thought the Gospel Library App. I wish I could take a short video clip of what happens. Hmmm.. maybe I can do that on my phone. Can I attach a small video file to a post?? If so then I could show what is happening.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

Hi All,

I just figured out how to record a small 10 second video on my phone of the computer screen where I can show you precisely the problem I have. Please unzip and view it. I am hoping with this illustration you can all see what is happening. I do believe it is something at the web site.

I look forward to your additional feedback.

Warm regards,
Brother Osbon :)
Attachments
Notes Opening Problem.zip
Small MP4 file which best illustrates my problem.
(5.1 MiB) Downloaded 116 times
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You could try clearing cache and locally-stored site data in your browser. Here are instructions for Firefox to remove only the cache and local data for the Church website:

1. Close any windows that are opened to the Church website.
2. Go to Preferences (under the three-lines menu in the top right of a Firefox window – or you can type about:preferences into the titlebar).
3. Tap "Privacy & Security."
4. Under Cookies and Site Data, tap "Manage Data..."
5. Search for "lds.org" and remove all of the entries that appear.
6. Search for "churchofjesuschrist.org" and remove all of the entries that appear.
7. Save changes and exit preferences.
8. Try to open Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org (you'll have to sign in again).

(Clearing cache and site data will not remove notes/annotations or anything like that, because those are stored on the Church's server, not in the browser – which is good. :) )

Though less likely to be a problem in this case, you could also try temporarily turning off any content-blocking extensions or filtering services on your network, if there are any.

If none of that works – I wonder if it has to do with the special characters in your note? The backslash, equal sign, and @ symbol are commonly used in code. Normally, a website should be escaping these kinds of special characters behind the scenes to prevent them from causing problems, but it's possible that something isn't being escaped properly (which would be a bug).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

Hello.

I have the same problem with the Edge browser as with the Firefox browser. So, I cleared cache on the edge browser and still the same result.

I have had Notes on LDS server since 2011. I have always used the same characters and never had an issue. I perceive the problem must be at the Church server end. I do note that the Android version of Gospel Library is storing the notes fine. No problem there. I have been copying and pasting from my phone using OneNote where I temporarily store the notes until the server or Notes issue is fixed and that keeps them up to date but it is a painful workaround.

I hope you can continue to look into the problem and appreciate all your suggestions and review. I will keep trying from day to day and will report any changes.

Warm regards,
Brother Osbon
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

Hi All,

Just an added observation. This is happening now with both Edge and Firefox browser which leads me to believe this on the server end.

Now, when I try to go to Notes, there is no longer a short 1 to 1.5 second opening of my notes before disappearing. It now goes immediately to blank. Very curious situation.

Rgds,
Brother Osbon
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ljosbon wrote:So, I cleared cache on the edge browser and still the same result.
What about cookies?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”