Highlights offset

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
GrasseDD

Highlights offset

Post by GrasseDD »

Highlighted words in my online scriptures are offset by a word or two.

Highlight a word in the scriptures using Gospel Library. The highlight shows up in my online scriptures, but in the next word. Sometimes it's word following the next word.
The Notes and Journal entry reflects the word highlighted in GL.

If I highlight a word in my online scriptures, it shows up in GL, and in N&J, highlighting the previous word (or, sometimes, the word before the previous word).

Anyone else have this? Any ideas?

Thanks,
D.G.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Highlights offset

Post by sbradshaw »

This bug has to do with how LDS.org counts words in a paragraph, to know which words in the paragraph to highlight. I don't know the specific pattern, but it's something to do with counting vs. skipping punctuation marks and/or footnote letters. Gospel Library for iOS and Android count words the same way, but LDS.org is the odd one out. The LDS.org study tools haven't had any significant updates for several years, so the hope is that they will resolve the problem when they update the study tools. You may notice other bugs in the LDS.org study tools that have to do with things being transitioned.

In the meantime, I would recommend using the feedback link at the bottom of LDS.org to send it as a bug, including a couple of specific examples of which words are highlighted in Gospel Library vs. on LDS.org, so that the web developers can reproduce the bug and fix it.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”