LDS Media JSON API

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
beetlepatty

LDS Media JSON API

Post by beetlepatty »

Is there JSON API available for the LDS Media Library including scriptures and conference talks? I'm wanting to port data into an app for the Google Assistant and I need API access. If it's not available currently, is there a proper place to request such access, or perhaps an API being built that I could volunteer to contribute to?
deusevitch

Re: LDS Media JSON API

Post by deusevitch »

Yeah I'm interested to know as well if this is going to be a thing any time in the future??? Would be an awesome tool to use for developed apps to spread gospel media.
mevans

Post by mevans »

As far as I know, the church hasn't made public APIs available for it systems.

Several years ago, there was a push for community involvement in church projects, but that effort was mostly discontinued. As I understand it, there were few active contributors. There might be some projects still available where you can contribute. See https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/projects

You can use the Feedback link, found on many pages, to request such an API. At least your request will go to someone who makes decisions. My personal opinion is that it's not likely the church will expose public APIs. From the understanding of many people in the forums, they have a small staff that is called upon to do a lot of stuff. A public API would bring with it things like documentation, examples, and developer support, which would distract technical people who work for the church from doing the many other things they need to get done. Much of the support for the church is done by volunteer missionaries, and it would probably be more difficult to get volunteer technical missionaries to do developer support. These individuals would need to understand the system architecture, have access to source code and databases, and, ultimately, have access to the developers for when they run into issues they can't handle. Furthermore, that gives volunteer missionaries access to personal information, which doesn't sound like a good idea. I've been involved with developer support at some previous employers and it can be a lot of work. The only way it could make sense is if the church charged for API integration to its systems, which I don't see it doing.
drushlopez

Post by drushlopez »

davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

drushlopez wrote:I just found this:

https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/wi ... eb_Service
That page was last updated 9 years ago. I'm not a developer myself, but wonder if it is still valid given that 9 years is a very, very long time in computing architecture.
drushlopez

Post by drushlopez »

Ah. I didn't notice the date. Sorry about that. I am a budding developer and you are right, it IS a long time.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”