Need info regarding Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures project

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
BlackRG
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:31 pm
Location: Orem, UT, USA
Contact:

Need info regarding Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures project

Postby BlackRG » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:51 am

I've never attempted to dig into this before and all of you probably know more about what's going on with this piece than I do, but I've got a series of questions:

1. Is there a known API for Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures? Given the Gospel Library apps and the other projects I'm assuming yes. If so, where can I find documentation on it?

2. I see projects for the Gospel Library for various platforms, but I don't see anything for the web version - is that all internal, or is there a project for it somewhere?

3. Do we know any of the developers on the project?

4. Are there any known good methods for backing up the data (or copying it) to a local PC? I've got about 1800 notes so far - I'd hate to lose that. It started out as an experiment earlier this year more than anything else to see if I could live with using the online version vs my scriptures and how useful it would be - It's kind of grown on me.

5. Are there any known "betas" for this project? I didn't see any listed, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right spot.

Thanks!

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2025
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Need info regarding Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures project

Postby eblood66 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:27 am

BlackRG wrote:1. Is there a known API for Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures? Given the Gospel Library apps and the other projects I'm assuming yes. If so, where can I find documentation on it?

Yes, but like all the APIs which require use of an LDS account it is only available for official church apps. I don't know where the documentation is. Probably you have to join one of the Gospel Library projects to see it.

BlackRG wrote:2. I see projects for the Gospel Library for various platforms, but I don't see anything for the web version - is that all internal, or is there a project for it somewhere?

The web version is completely internal.

BlackRG wrote:3. Do we know any of the developers on the project?

I don't know for certain but I don't remember any of the notes/journal developers posting on the forums. I think we've had a church service missionary who supports the notes project post but not developers.

BlackRG wrote:4. Are there any known good methods for backing up the data (or copying it) to a local PC? I've got about 1800 notes so far - I'd hate to lose that. It started out as an experiment earlier this year more than anything else to see if I could live with using the online version vs my scriptures and how useful it would be - It's kind of grown on me.

You can download the items in a single notebook (see Printing and Downloading Content in the notes help). But other than that I don't think there is anything. And I don't think there is any way to restore notes that were downloaded.

BlackRG wrote:5. Are there any known "betas" for this project? I didn't see any listed, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right spot.

I haven't heard of any but most new releases aren't announced beforehand and many betas are limited and by invitation.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 2484
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Need info regarding Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures project

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:59 pm

The API that Gospel Library uses for getting content, and the API for syncing everything with LDS Account, are internal APIs that are only used for Church apps. The LDSTech projects for Church apps now exist only for beta testing and gathering feedback – all of the actual development is internal (except for the LDS Music apps). So, you won't be able to see source code or the APIs by joining the projects.

There is an external API for gospel content being tested. I don't know a lot about it – but from what I understand, it is invitation-only for now. The third-party LDS Scriptures app (http://ldsscriptures.com/) uses it, and the Book of Mormon Central website (https://bookofmormoncentral.org/) will be using it for their interactive text page. It does not include LDS Account sync – only an API for accessing some of the gospel content.

I don't know of any external betas for the LDS.org scriptures site, though I know they are making some improvements.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

mevans
Senior Member
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Need info regarding Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures project

Postby mevans » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:26 am

From what we've learned, the church's development team is pretty small, so it's entirely likely that some of the developers we've seen post about other apps are also the developers who work on the notes and journal features. Most likely, no one is working on it right now unless there are critical bugs to be fixed. I've seen mention from a church service missionary that the notes feature is planned for some attention, but there was no mention of when.

I'm also not aware of any method for backup of your notes.


Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest