Open to "Random Page" in Electronic Scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
jwolley

Open to "Random Page" in Electronic Scriptures

Postby jwolley » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Having scriptures available online & on mobile phones is great, but there's one thing I can do in the paper scriptures that I really miss in the electronic version - that is the ability to ask the Lord for guidance by opening my "quad" copy of the scriptures to a random page. In reality, when I do this with the paper scriptures, it's not entirely random - I'm aiming for a "random" page within a particular work, and usually within a general area of that work - e.g., middle of New Testament, or latter part of Book of Mormon.

This capability could be programmed into the scriptures on both LDS.org and the LDS Library app on mobile phones, giving users the option of opening to a totally random page (w/in any work), a random page w/in a specified work, or a random page within a specified section of a work (e.g., start, middle, end). If targeting sections of the electronic scriptures that correspond exactly to the pages in the paper books is too complicated, it would be every bit as useful to open to a random "electronic page" - a chapter (or section in D&C).

lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Open to "Random Page" in Electronic Scriptures

Postby lajackson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:13 pm

jwolley wrote:In reality, when I do this with the paper scriptures, it's not entirely random - I'm aiming for a "random" page within a particular work, and usually within a general area of that work - e.g., middle of New Testament, or latter part of Book of Mormon.

Since it is not quite random and has not yet been programmed, you can be the pseudo-random number generator yourself. In LDS Tools, select the book of scriptures, Scroll through the books to the middle or latter part and select any one on the screen. Pick a chapter number at random, and then slide the screen up a bit through the verses.

You'll have to decide whether to choose the top or bottom verse, or one in the middle.

Yes, you can influence the selection. Then again, if you wish you can tap the screen anywhere without looking at the actual book or chapter number.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”