LDS.org Doesn't Support Personal Scripture Study?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
hinckley

LDS.org Doesn't Support Personal Scripture Study?

Post by hinckley »

Okay -- There must be a way to use LDS.org for personal scripture study, but if there is it's deep down in the website. Bringing up the scriptures is not a problem. What is a problem, is being able to get back get back to where you were reading yesterday. There should a way to establish your own person study account on LDS.org. You can do that with a phone app, but not on LDS.org? What am I missing?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: LDS.org Doesn't Support Personal Scripture Study?

Post by aebrown »

hinckley wrote:Okay -- There must be a way to use LDS.org for personal scripture study, but if there is it's deep down in the website. Bringing up the scriptures is not a problem. What is a problem, is being able to get back get back to where you were reading yesterday. There should a way to establish your own person study account on LDS.org. You can do that with a phone app, but not on LDS.org? What am I missing?
You certainly can use LDS.org for personal scripture study, and the good news is that it also syncs with the mobile Gospel Library apps.

When you are signed in to LDS.org you should see a study bar at the bottom of each page of scripture, general conference talks, magazine articles, etc. (the Help Center article Annotating Content explains how to make notes). You can see all your notes under Notes. You can see the help documents in the Help Center at Notes.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I love that I can sit in front of my computer and use LDS.org this way, and then if I'm using my mobile at church I see the notes and annotations I made. This has been available for years and is a treasured resource for me! [My missionary scriptures were stolen out of my car in the 23rd month of my mission... I lost it all]
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
hinckley

Post by hinckley »

Let me understand. After you sign in, the next step is the heading Scriptures and Study, followed by the heading Scriptures, followed by, say, the Book of Mormon, followed by, say, Alma, followed by a chapter. Have I missed any steps? There has got to be an easier way to use LDS.org to study the scriptures. There's no direct path to establish your own account or your on own personal study page? You shouldn't have to go through a half a dozen steps.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

If you're looking for a shortcut, https://scriptures.lds.org will land you there quicker. But you must be logged in as well with your LDSAccount. Take a look at the previous thread suggestions about reviewing the training in the help center. If you want to try a couple things out, after you're logged in, highlight some text in the scriptures see it come up with highlighting options, underlining options, options for making notes, etc...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hinckley wrote:There's no direct path to establish your own account or your on own personal study page? You shouldn't have to go through a half a dozen steps.
There is a very short path to your own personal study page. Under "My Account and Ward" in the upper right corner, choose "Notes" (in the "My Account" section). That will take you directly to the place where you can see your notes, bookmarks, etc. Each note, bookmark, etc. will have a link to the content it refers to.
hinckley wrote:After you sign in, the next step is the heading Scriptures and Study, followed by the heading Scriptures, followed by, say, the Book of Mormon, followed by, say, Alma, followed by a chapter. Have I missed any steps?
One alternative is to click on Scriptures under Scriptures and Study, and then enter the scripture reference (e.g., Alma 32:21) in the search box. That will take you directly to that verse.

Note that you can study far more than just the scriptures; general conference talks, Ensign articles, Preach My Gospel, lesson manuals, etc., can all be studied, bookmarked, and annotated.
hinckley

Post by hinckley »

Alright -- I think we're making some very serious progress. I like the "My Account and Ward" direction and then "notes." That's good! Okay -- so, now that I'm in notes how do I get back to where I was reading in the scriptures yesterday? I don't see any thing that brings up where I was yesterday.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hinckley wrote:Alright -- I think we're making some very serious progress. I like the "My Account and Ward" direction and then "notes." That's good! Okay -- so, now that I'm in notes how do I get back to where I was reading in the scriptures yesterday? I don't see any thing that brings up where I was yesterday.
Unfortunately that's not very easy; it's certainly not automatic. There is a "Bookmark" feature in the Notes feature on LDS.org, but it doesn't work the way most people think of bookmarks (see a discussion of that issue here). The mobile Gospel Library apps do have a nice bookmark feature that I use all the time; it's really easy to update a bookmark to point to the verse you last read. Also, the mobile apps just naturally start up where you were last reading, which is very convenient.

But since LDS.org doesn't have bookmarks, you have to come up with another solution. One way is to just keep a browser tab open for the purpose of gospel study. If you don't close that (or if your browser is configured to restore its previous state on startup), then it's easy to resume where you left off.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You could have a dedicated browser you use for gospel study, just like Gospel Library is a dedicated app. For example, on my computer I use Google Chrome for a few web pages that I always have open, including a few email accounts and some progress-tracking Google spreadsheets. I use Safari for everything else. Whenever I open Google Chrome, I have those tabs up and I don't have to worry about closing and reopening them in my regular browser.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”