Footnotes able to be displayed fully on online scriptures?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
michaeledwardbyrd

Footnotes able to be displayed fully on online scriptures?

Post by michaeledwardbyrd »

On feature that I love about the mobile LDS Library app is the ability to see the footnotes as you scroll and read through a scripture block. This allows me to make connections and view past notes that I've made without any extra clicks. However, on my online scriptures on lds.org, I have to click on each blue hyperlink individually to see the footnotes. Is there a way to view the footnotes (along with my own personal notes) side-by-side with the scriptures on lds.org as is possible on the lds library app?
mevans

Re: Footnotes able to be displayed fully on online scripture

Post by mevans »

I am not aware of a convenient way to do this online, which is where I do all of my study. I know there are some differences in how LDS Library presents things compared to online.

We've heard talk of updates coming to Notes, but that's not the actual content you're reading (and there's no timeline for the update...it could be years away). Hopefully they will enhance the online versions at some point so they work better with the mobile LDS Library.

Use the Feedback link at the bottom of most pages on LDS.org (to the right of the world map) to submit your thoughts on this. We're primarily a user-to-user forum. By sending Feedback your requests are routed to those people at the church who make decisions.
eportano

Re: Footnotes able to be displayed fully on online scriptures?

Post by eportano »

Is the ability to view footnotes as you read available on the app still?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

eportano wrote:Is the ability to view footnotes as you read available on the app still?
Yes, you can use the button in the top left to get to Related Content, which will open the sidebar and show all the footnotes for the chapter. If you're on a phone, and want to see the footnotes side-by-side with the main content and following as you scroll (rather than overlaying the main content), you can rotate your device to landscape mode. This will allow you to "pin" the sidebar open. On a tablet or bigger screen, you may be able to pin the sidebar open in either landscape or portrait.

The same sidebar is also available in Gospel Library Online (Study.LDS.org).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
uchevictor

Post by uchevictor »

2Nephi 12
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

uchevictor wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:56 pm 2Nephi 12
What is your purpose for posting this reference? Are you attempting to ask a question, or are you attempting to make a statement? If so, please fully present your question or statement.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sbradshaw wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:21 pm
eportano wrote:Is the ability to view footnotes as you read available on the app still?
Yes, you can use the button in the top left to get to Related Content, which will open the sidebar and show all the footnotes for the chapter.
On both my Android phone and on my laptop the Related Content button is in the top right rather than the top left.

This may be obvious for most people but may cause confusion for others: Make sure the Options | Display Footnotes is on. Otherwise the Related Content sidebar will be on with the footnotes but there will be no footnote identifiers in the page text for reference.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”