Backup my Gospel Library links

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
davidleewelch

Backup my Gospel Library links

Post by davidleewelch »

I seem to be unable to backup my Gospel Library links through the www.lds.org -> Notes and Journal -> backup function.

The items category I'm backing up shows a count that balances to the sum of that category's bookmarks, highlights, and links. I have checked all the boxes to include Highlights, Bookmarks, Journal entries, and Details. Whether I download to Backup (XML) or DOCX, all my Highlights, Bookmarks, and Journal entries are in the file, but no links that I am able to detect either through searching or visually scanning the download file.

Any ideas?
lmcguire

Re: Backup my Gospel Library links

Post by lmcguire »

David,

I'm going to try this and walk through the details to see if I can reproduce the problem.

1) Log on to LDS.org

2) Click "Liz McGuire / Tools" (upper right corner), and choose "Notes" from the drop-down menu

3) Under "NOTEBOOKS", choose one which has links

4) Click the triangle button at the right of that notebook's name and choose "Download"

5) Check the boxes to include highlights, bookmarks, journal entries, and details; chose to export as XML; click "Download", open the XML file.

Now I'm looking through that XML file as I know there's a scripture with a link. I see highlights, tags, and notes; I do NOT see the link (either end thereof). Not only that, but the link is of course highlighted, and has a note, but I don't see it as a simple highlight or a note, without reference to the link. So it's as if having a link excludes the item from being exported. Off to test again, this time on a scripture with a tag, links, and highlight (of course); and to DOCX. No joy. Other things with the same tag, other things from the same book, but not this.

(NOTE: I did not rely on my powers of observation - I did a search in a text editor for the XML file, in MS Word for the DOCX, so there's no doubt - the linked items aren't in there.)

Well, I think we've established that highlights with a link (regardless of what else they have) are NOT included in the backup download. Hopefully the development team will see this and look into it (it's either a deliberate limitation - bad choice, IMO - or a bug).

Liz
PamelaBonta

Re: Backup my Gospel Library links

Post by PamelaBonta »

Links are not yet available in online Notes. That's probably the problem.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”