BoM Testing

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
cemcelwee

BoM Mosiah 11

Post by cemcelwee »

http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/en/mosiah/11

Only English has the following content:
<div class="note"><span class='small'>
* VERSE 20 (ABOUT 150 <span class='smallcaps'>B.C.</span>).</span>
</div>
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I would prefer NOT to open new threads for each bug but rather keep them in one thread. It makes it tougher to discuss other items with so many "1 post" threads. So I would ask that you do one of two things:

1. Either post all to one thread.
2. Or even better, batch your posts so that one post has multiple problems in it. If you want to put them in a spreadsheet or document and post that, that is great.

Thanks for your help.

Tom
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

tomw wrote:I would prefer NOT to open new threads for each bug but rather keep them in one thread. It makes it tougher to discuss other items with so many "1 post" threads. So I would ask that you do one of two things:

1. Either post all to one thread.
2. Or even better, batch your posts so that one post has multiple problems in it. If you want to put them in a spreadsheet or document and post that, that is great.

Thanks for your help.

Tom
cemcelwee,

I merged all of the threads into this one thread. I also edited the title to 'BoM Testing', instead of the specific chapter title that was there.

Let me know if you want anything changed.

The Earl
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cemcelwee wrote:http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/en/1_ne/2

In English, the following code is present, though it is not in every other language:
<div class="note"><span class='small'>
* VERSE 4 (600 <span class='smallcaps'>B.C.</span>).</span>
</div>
I can't speak to the other languages, but I know that in the printed version of the German Book of Mormon, there are no footnotes for the specific dates, as is done in English. So although it is indeed an inconsistency between languages, I think the online scriptures have to match the printed versions for the respective languages, so I wouldn't think that this is a problem that needs to be corrected in the online scriptures.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

The Earl wrote:cemcelwee,

I merged all of the threads into this one thread. I also edited the title to 'BoM Testing', instead of the specific chapter title that was there.

Let me know if you want anything changed.

The Earl

Thanks MUCH!

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Alan_Brown wrote:I can't speak to the other languages, but I know that in the printed version of the German Book of Mormon, there are no footnotes for the specific dates, as is done in English. So although it is indeed an inconsistency between languages, I think the online scriptures have to match the printed versions for the respective languages, so I wouldn't think that this is a problem that needs to be corrected in the online scriptures.
You are correct. I actually sat down with the developer and the translation department yesterday and show them a bunch of these issues and indeed they are not problems. The scriptures are constantly being revised over time. Let no one assume that the content is changing but footnotes, cross referencing, etc. are...especially for other languages. So, as an example, in the English version that we have online we show asterisks in the text with a footnote below detailing out the specific dates whereas other version in other languages we do not have the same footnote method. So it would appear that the text is out of sync. Just the footnotes are. However the combined text (footnotes, scriptures, index, etc). should be in sync with the latest version of the specific language. Grab any latest copy of the Spanish BOM, for example, and it should be the same as what is online.

Hope that this helps.

Tom
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I believe one trend coming out of these posts is that for users who wish to parse or utilize the structure of the coded scriptures for developing other applications and tools (potentially for the Church) around the scriptures, there are inconsistencies in the structure that make it difficult to compare across languages. Keeping a consistent structure would open up for easier portability to other potential applications. Even empty tags for unused or unavailable content in some languages would add to the consistency to adequately compare and "read" this coded text.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”