We Need Help Testing the Scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Word Forms searching

Post by aebrown »

tomw wrote:Phonetic searching is problematic with various languages because it's hard to get translation on "sounds like". We are working on improving this. I'll let the developers see your feedback.

I'm not talking about phonetic searching, but rather word forms. There is a distinct difference. Phonetic searching would help you find the word "repentance" even if you mistakenly search for "repentence". That's a nice feature, but not that big of a deal in my opinion.

But word form searching is much more helpful, and has nothing to do with "sounds like". Word form searching will enable you to find "repented", "repents", and "repenting" if you search for "repent." And this version of the scriptures advertizes through the "Search All Word Forms" option that it can do it. It sort of works, but misses quite a few word forms in English, and far more word forms in German. I wouldn't have mentioned it, except that the word forms option implies that it will actually search all word forms, which it falls short of at this point.
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Updated Version of the Test Plan as of 6/3/2008

Post by speatross-p40 »

Here's an updated version of the test plan. Let me know if you find anything else that needs to be changed.

Thanks
Stewart
Attachments
Online Scriptures Community Test Plan.doc
(83.5 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:Item 12c of the test plan tells you to "Click on the Help link." But this is ambiguous -- there are two Help links displayed at that point. There is one in the main menu, and another inside the Search panel. I guessed properly that it was the one in the Search panel that was intended for this test case, but someone else might choose the main Help link -- it is the first one on the page, after all. The test plan should be clarified to say which Help link is intended.

It is also a reasonable question to ask if it is a good UI to have two Help links displayed at the same time. Perhaps the one on the Search panel could be named "Search Help" so that it is clear that it is offering help on Search, and the other one on the main menu provides more general help.
Good suggestion to change the link name to Word Search Help. I'll pass this along to the developers.
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

I'm unable to reproduce this as well. I making changes and navigating to other pages without exiting the browser and IE7and Firefox are remember my options. Not sure what this could be other than local browser settings. You might want to clear your browser cache and take a look at the browser settings on your home machine and compare them to your other machines.
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/searc ... sw=checked

produces "allen Formen des Worts, TAUFE in der Textvon der Heilige Schriften, sortiert nach Relevanz" immediately under the horizontal rule and above the first reference. As near as I can tell, it happens all the time, no matter what the options are, in both IE and Firefox. The above is a copy and paste, so I am sure the space is truly missing.

Hmm. I just tried this quickly at work using IE7 (which I am also using at home). I can't reproduce it. I'll have to take a look when I get home tonight. But I do not have my browser set to remove cookies. I duplicated it several times, because I thought it so odd, and I also tried it using Firefox several times and it worked every time. Curious. I am using Windows XP (Home at home, Pro at work).
I'm unable to reproduce this as well. I making changes and navigating to other pages without exiting the browser and IE7and Firefox are remember my options. Not sure what this could be other than local browser settings. You might want to clear your browser cache and take a look at the browser settings on your home machine and compare them to your other machines.
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:Step 22: Searching for common words seems to properly exclude them from the search, as can be seen in this link:

http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/searc ... ecked&bw=1

However, the resulting message is not properly structured. In the example above, it says:

But it should say (since we are searching for the word "UND"):
Thanks. I'll send this along to the developers.
aebrown
Community Administrator

German 25

Post by aebrown »

The LuB (D&C) Chronological Order of Contents at http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/dc/chrono is mostly in German, but the Ort (Place) column appears to be in Spanish.

In the Church History Maps Index of Place-Names at http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/chmaps/index, there is a spurious paragraph break in the middle of a sentence. In English, it is all one paragraph.

In the Bible Maps Index of Place-Names at http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/biblemaps/index, the reference system is described as "Die Eintragung für Rabba (Amman) auf der ersten Karte beispielsweise ist 1: D5—d.h. Karte 1, Quadrat D5." But the entries don't actually appear like "1: D5"; rather they appear as "1. Physische Karte des Heiligen Landes: D5 ". However, in English, both the Church History Index of Place-Names and the index for Bible Maps describe the reference system as simply "1: D5", so perhaps the German Church History Maps Index is the page that should be fixed -- it is the only one that uses a link instead of a simple number to refer to the map number in the Index page.
aebrown
Community Administrator

German 30

Post by aebrown »

The Study Helps page for German is of course different from English, because there is no Bible on this site, and thus no Bible Dictionary.

But it is odd that the main menu link "Studienhilfen" (Study Helps) takes you to a page (http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/helps/contents) that is titled "Schriftenführer" (Guide to the Scriptures). In every other case, the menu item takes you to a page with the same title as the menu item.

The Introduction to the Guide to the scriptures (http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/helps/introduction) has an odd first paragraph. It refers entirely to the Alphabetical Index, and so it should be moved down to be under the paragraph numbered "1". It makes no sense in its current position.

Also, the last line of the Introduction is not formatted like the other rows, so the JSÜ abbreviation sticks out to the right and doesn't line up with the other abbrevations.
aebrown
Community Administrator

German 31

Post by aebrown »

This issue is not related to a particular language -- it seems to affect all languages.

You mark a scripture by holding down the Alt key, clicking a scripture, then releasing the Alt key. In IE, when you do this, your next click is ignored. It doesn't matter whether your are clicking in the browser window, or even anywhere in the IE UI (even the Dialog Close button in the upper right corner of the IE dialog box).

In Firefox it works fine -- your next click after marking a scripture actually does something. The problem with IE may well be one of the many odd quirks of IE, and there is nothing you can do about it, but I thought I should mention it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

German 40

Post by aebrown »

I don't know if the test plan is poorly worded, or if the web site is not functioning correctly.

When I use the URL http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/dc/88/123, it merely displays the start of D&C Section 88. It does not display verse 123, although if I scroll down to verse 123, I see that verse 123 is indeed highlighted. Yet the test plan says "Validate that the specified scripture is displayed and highlighted." -- verse 123 is not displayed, so the what is specified in the test plan is not happening. I would guess that the functionality is correct, and the test plan should simply say "Validate that the specified scripture is highlighted."

Step 43 of the test plan talks about using # to cause the page to scroll to the verse; indeed, if I use http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/dc/88/123#123, not only is the verse highlighted, but it is also displayed.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”