We Need Help Testing the Scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

speatross wrote:Cannot reproduce this issue, when I modify any options in the German then click "Save Options" exit then restart IE or Firefox it remembers my options. Do you have your browser setup to remove cookies on exit?

OK, I just read your comment more carefully. You said that after clicking "Save Options" you restarted your browser, and then it remembered your options. Indeed, that is the way it works for me. But that is not at all intuitive, and it works differently in IE than in Firefox. However, upon further research, it appears to have nothing to do with the German implementation -- English works the same way.

However, it is still the case that I can only reproduce this on my home computer -- neither my work computer nor my laptop has the problem (both running IE7). I don't know what is different about my home computer. So the remainder of this post can be taken with a grain of salt at this point.

Specifically, with IE, when you change options and then Save Options, if you then go back into the Options page without exiting the browser, the options appear to be reset back to the way they were when you entered the Options page before making the change. And yet the options were indeed changed, as is clear from the appearance of the footnote indicator. However, if you exit the browser and come back in, the Options page will finally actually reflect the changed options.

In Firefox, however, when you change options, Save Options, and come back to the Options page, you immediately see the new settings properly reflected, even if you do not exit the browser.

The way the Options page works in IE is quite confusing. The user interface should always show the current state of options; it becomes quite unpredictable if the UI shows settings that may or may not reflect the current state. That is the way the Options page works in IE. It really needs to be fixed, or if for some reason it cannot be fixed, in IE there should be a warning displayed that the settings will not appear to be saved until you exit and restart the browser.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Revised test plan?

Post by aebrown »

speatross wrote:I've made some changes to the test plan that reflect your suggestions. One of the first things you will notice about this test plan is that it is not comprehensive. If you find holes in it please let me know and we can add test cases as go. Feel free to test any functionality that is not listed in the test plan.

So is the revised test plan posted somewhere, or should we just continue using the original test plan for now?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

speatross wrote:One of the first things you will notice about this test plan is that it is not comprehensive. If you find holes in it please let me know and we can add test cases as go. Feel free to test any functionality that is not listed in the test plan.

Item 12c of the test plan tells you to "Click on the Help link." But this is ambiguous -- there are two Help links displayed at that point. There is one in the main menu, and another inside the Search panel. I guessed properly that it was the one in the Search panel that was intended for this test case, but someone else might choose the main Help link -- it is the first one on the page, after all. The test plan should be clarified to say which Help link is intended.

It is also a reasonable question to ask if it is a good UI to have two Help links displayed at the same time. Perhaps the one on the Search panel could be named "Search Help" so that it is clear that it is offering help on Search, and the other one on the main menu provides more general help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:10.f. One of the options is for searching for all word forms. I know that in German, separable verbs are a particular challenge for searching. But when verbs are separated, the search for all word forms does not find them. For example, when searching for all word forms of “umkehren”, there really should be a hit on Moroni 9:3, which contains the phrase “denn sie kehren nicht um”. I know this would require a much more complex search algorithm that actually understands German grammar to some extent, so it must be out of scope for the first version, but I thought I’d mention it.

In addition to completely separated verbs I mentioned above, the search does not find many other forms. For example, searching for "umkehren" does not even find "umgekehrt"; searching for "laufen" does not find "lief", etc. It appears that the "all word forms" is very limited -- the word form has to begin the same way and be different only in certain ending letters. Weak nouns have a similar problem -- searching for "Herr" will not match "Herrn" (used in all but the nominative case).

However, it seems that English has the same problem -- searching for "repent" will find "repented", but searching for "forget" will not find "forgot". It's just that because of the grammar of German, this incomplete implementation of the word form search will miss far more words than the equivalent functionality in English.
aebrown
Community Administrator

German Wildcard Search Problems

Post by aebrown »

Test plan #18:

In German, if you search for "gemäß" you will find a reference in 1 Ne 1:3 (and many others) as follows:

http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/searc ... ecked&bw=1

But if you search for "gemä*" you do not ever match "gemäß". Use this link to verify that:

As I have done other searches, it appears that in no case will the character "ß" at the end of a word be matched by a wildcard "*", although if you shorten the search to "gem*", then "gemäß" will be found. I wonder if any non-ASCII single character at the end of a word will fail to match a wildcard, but the only examples I can think of in German involve ß.
Bryce Haymond-p40

Post by Bryce Haymond-p40 »

http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/en/options

The Options page in English is missing the Options link in the top menu links.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

The Earl wrote:The LDS.org breadcrumb at the top left always takes you to the the english LDS.org page, regardless of the selected language.
This is as intended. I'll log it as a suggestion as to something we should change. Currently we don't have as many language sites as we will have languages in the scriptures.
The Earl wrote:The "conditions of use" and "privacy policy" are also english only.

Also as intended at this time. We are working on translations for all of these items but they won't be rolled out with the scriptures. Great feedback, however.

Stewart, we should add these items to the test plan so people to flag them as problems. Then when we get solutions to them, we can update the test plan.

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Alan_Brown wrote:So is the revised test plan posted somewhere, or should we just continue using the original test plan for now?
Stewart will post another one with the changes.

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Alan_Brown wrote:In addition to completely separated verbs I mentioned above, the search does not find many other forms. For example, searching for "umkehren" does not even find "umgekehrt"; searching for "laufen" does not find "lief", etc. It appears that the "all word forms" is very limited -- the word form has to begin the same way and be different only in certain ending letters. Weak nouns have a similar problem -- searching for "Herr" will not match "Herrn" (used in all but the nominative case).

However, it seems that English has the same problem -- searching for "repent" will find "repented", but searching for "forget" will not find "forgot". It's just that because of the grammar of German, this incomplete implementation of the word form search will miss far more words than the equivalent functionality in English.
Phonetic searching is problematic with various languages because it's hard to get translation on "sounds like". We are working on improving this. I'll let the developers see your feedback.

Tom
aebrown
Community Administrator

German 22

Post by aebrown »

Step 22: Searching for common words seems to properly exclude them from the search, as can be seen in this link:

However, the resulting message is not properly structured. In the example above, it says:
UNDDas Wort ist nicht aussagekräftig und kam in der Suche nicht zum Tragen.

But it should say (since we are searching for the word "UND"):
Das Wort UND ist nicht aussagekräftig und kam in der Suche nicht zum Tragen.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”