Moving Bookmark to Next Chapter?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
PamelaBonta

Re: Moving Bookmark to Next Chapter?

Post by PamelaBonta »

That's one way to do it, but since when it was developed it was meant to mark all of your favorites and not keep your reading place, you can have hundreds of Bookmarks in online Notes. They are found in your Bookmarks folder. Since the most recent one is always on top, you can use the Bookmarks online as one would normally use a Bookmark simply by going to LDS.org, clicking on Sign In, clicking on Notes, THEN signing in. When you click on your Bookmarks folder (found in the section called Types on the left hand side), your latest place should be on top. Click on it and it will take you there.

All of the Study Tools are constantly being updated, so the best way to make sure that a feature you are requesting is seen by the appropriate department is to go to the Feedback link found on the bottom of just about any church website. Choose Suggestion and Study Notebook on the form, and then enter your suggestion.
bganiere

Post by bganiere »

When using the android app you just open the bookmarks and hold down on the bookmark you want to update. That is easy enough. The problem I want to fix is to be able to update the bookmark in lds.org because sometimes I read there instead of my phone. I can't even find the bookmarks on lds.org.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

Go to LDS.org. Click on Sign IN at the top right. From the drop down men choose Notes. Then sign in. When your own personal Notes page appears, look at the column on the left hand side. One of the option should be Types. (If it is not expanded already, click on it.) Click on Bookmarks. The most recent item you Bookmarked should be on top.

While they both have the same name, Bookmarks work differently online and in the apps. The bookmarks in apps work like a bookmark you put in a paper book - they mark the last thing you read. Bookmarks online mark favourite things you want to go back to again and again - much like Pinterest.
kinghoju

Post by kinghoju »

Thank you so much for the work around! I have tried saving a new bookmark with the same name it and it seems to work and replace the old bookmark. Certainly not ideal but better than nothing.

What they need is a simple "update bookmark" button like what exists on the various mobile versions of Gospel Library. But at least for the time being I will use your suggestion. I greatly prefer reading one a computer whenever possible. And I'd use the Windows 8 app, but it is a "metro app" and I really don't like using metro apps at all. I would really love a non-metro PC version of Gospel Library, but for the time being I suppose the web version is my best option.

There needs to be better parody between the LDS.org Gospel Library and the various mobile versions. I feel like the web version is being neglected in favor of updating mobile versions. It's understandable of course, but remember that a lot of people are still using the web version. Thanks!
mevans

Post by mevans »

When I open Notes and look under Types, I see that I have 8 Bookmarks; however, when I click on Bookmarks, it shows a check next to it and does not show my 8 bookmarks on the right.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

"Something better" is relative. :) If you like how bookmarks on your browser or on Pinterest work, online Notes works great. If you like how bookmarks in a paperback book work, GL app works great. In my role as a CSM who answers a lot of feedback at LDS.org regarding both, there are plenty of people who like how each works, and plenty of people who don't like how each works. :) Maybe the best solution would be to keep both, but rename the tool in Notes to Favorites.
BuckKennington

Post by BuckKennington »

This is how I've been able to move a bookmark to a different chapter. Go to the new chapter/verse where you want the existing bookmark to go. Tap the bookmarks icon. Tap and hold the existing bookmark you want to move. After a second or two, the list of bookmarks will close and the bookmark you tapped and held will now be moved to the new location.
brianzimmerman1

Post by brianzimmerman1 »

I tried the work around stated above, but ended up with 2 bookmarks with the same name. The program did not erase the old bookmark. This is definitely frustrating! (Windows 10, Chrome Browser)
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Brian,

Same here - it doesn't work. There's no way in the online tool to move a bookmark from page to page - you just have to delete and re-create.

Liz
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

Bookmarks work differently between the apps and online. In the apps, bookmarks work like a bookmark you place in an actual book - they are placeholders. In online Notes, bookmarks work like bookmarks in your web browser - they mark favorite pages that you want to go back to again and again. To go to your last bookmark in online Notes, go to LDS.org. Sign in. Click on your My Account and choose Notes. Click on Bookmarks in the left hand column. The last item you bookmarked should be at the top of the right hand column. Click on it.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”