notes in lessons

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
lynnmcrane

notes in lessons

Post by lynnmcrane »

I am unable to add notes to the lesson manual. It seems to me that adding notes and thoughts to the lesson manual would be a pretty major thing! Am I missing something? Or maybe someone can tell me how they go about annotating and preparing lessons using the notes system. It seems pretty unwieldy to go back and forth, since without being able to put a note in the manual I won't be able to remember to even go to the notebook to find my thoughts, should I need to. I can't quite put my head around the process.
PamelaBonta

Re: notes in lessons

Post by PamelaBonta »

You would have to open two browser windows - one for the manual and one for your Notes. Your notes do not appear on the Manual web page, but your highlights should.
mevans

Post by mevans »

You can highlight text and add notes to the highlight. This may be cumbersome for lesson preparation, as you can't easily see all your notes at once.
aplucinik

Post by aplucinik »

If you want the ability to highlight and add notes to text in the lesson manual, simply copy and paste the entire text of the lesson into a word processor. When I paste it into Microsoft Word even the hyperlinks to scriptures come with it. The text and format of the Word document looks exactly like the text of the Church's lesson in lds.org or the Gospel Library app. However, you may need to delete some unwanted text from the webpage that came along with the rest of the lesson but that's really quick and easy to remove from the Word document.

In Word I can highlight the text and obviously type in any notes I want anywhere in the lesson. I use one highlight color to highlight specific original text of the lesson and another highlight color for all my added notes to distinguish the two sets of text from each other.

I can teach my lesson from either the electronic copy on my laptop or my tablet or simply print out the lesson on paper including all the notes and highlights.
Allan Plucinik
Stake Clerk
Colorado Springs, CO
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

Notes is very much a work in progress. Here is a link to the How To guide so that you can learn to use it most effectively in its current release: https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/notesandjournal/.

The current version of Study Notebook does not allow one to highlight any sort of special formatting, including special fonts, some italics, long quotations, or bullets. Here is one way to work around the bug:

1. Highlight the bullets.
2. Hit CTRL and C at the same time.
3. Highlight the sentence *before* the bullets and when the little box comes up....
4. Click on the 'Note' part.
5. Then, hit CTRL and V. The bullets that you felt were important will be saved in your journal, even if they are not highlighted on your page.

Notes also does not work with every page on LDs.org - only scriptures, some manuals and magazine articles. You can use a similar procedure to save important information on these other types of pages:

1. Highlight the information.
2. Hit CTRL and C at the same time.
3. Create a new journal entry.
4. Click on the note part.
5. Then, hit CTRL and V. The information that you wanted to highlight will be saved in your journal, even if it is not highlighted on your page.
JSNaegle

Re: moving tags

Post by JSNaegle »

Another question. How do I move tags from unassigned to another one I have listed?
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

If you need to double check where it came from to put it in context, here is the long way to do it:
1. Go to your Notes section in your LDS Account.
2. Click on Unassigned Items.
3. In the middle column, find the item you want to assign to a tag and click on it.
4. In the right hand side, click on the hyperlink, which should be found directly underneath the title of the item.
5. This should take you to the page where you highlighted the item. Find the highlight.
6. Click on the highlighted part and choose tags from the popup box.
7. Assign the tag you want as normal, and Save.

If you know what tag you want to assign to it, here is the short way:
1. Go to your Notes section in your LDS Account.
2. Click on Unassigned Items.
3. In the middle column, find the item you want to assign to a tag and click on it.
4. Click Edit.
5. In the "Tagged with" box, either change or delete or write the tag. When you start typing, any tags with matching names appear.
6. Click Save.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”