Western Digital WD TV HD media player story

Seen something newsworthy about the technology that the Church uses? Let everyone else know by posting here.
wsplawn
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am

Western Digital WD TV HD media player story

Postby wsplawn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Last week I saw a story on a Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player. I think I saw it on this site, or if not, Deseret news or MormonTimes (possibley Meridian).

At any rate it was said that by use of this device church units in ourlying areas are able to download church video from the internet and play it on a regular TV. Does anyone know where to find this story? The unit, as I remember, was only 54.00.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:48 pm

wsplawn wrote:Last week I saw a story on a Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player. I think I saw it on this site, or if not, Deseret news or MormonTimes (possibley Meridian).

At any rate it was said that by use of this device church units in ourlying areas are able to download church video from the internet and play it on a regular TV. Does anyone know where to find this story? The unit, as I remember, was only 54.00.


This device was mentioned in the January 2011 Meetinghouse Technology Newsletter. It's also mentioned on the wiki at Viewing Church broadcasts using USB drives.

Are either of those articles what you were thinking of?

The wiki article links to the device for sale on Amazon for $118 -- a bit more than twice your recollection, but not too bad, IMO.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

wsplawn
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am

Postby wsplawn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Thank you. The second link answered my question. I think this will work very well in a variety of situations for our ward. I have been able to find it (even a newer model) on Amazon, and locally (Sacramento) for 99.00.

Thank you again.

danpass
Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Oregon City, OR
Contact:

Postby danpass » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:23 am

wsplawn wrote:Thank you. The second link answered my question. I think this will work very well in a variety of situations for our ward. I have been able to find it (even a newer model) on Amazon, and locally (Sacramento) for 99.00.


The newer model you mention is named Western Digital WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player (WDBABX0000NBK-NESN). It is available from multiple online vendors for $99.00 with free shipping. However, if you plan to purchase one or more of these and your needs aren't immediate, you might consider waiting for it to go on sale. This model could be had for about $75 in November.

wsplawn
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am

Postby wsplawn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 am

Thank you for your response.

I had not been aware of streetprices.com. This is a good site to remember. Do you know if there is a way to check when something goes on sale. That's kind of a stretch. It's probably just a matter of checking back regularly, but thought I would ask. Thank you again.

danpass
Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Oregon City, OR
Contact:

Postby danpass » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:14 pm

wsplawn wrote:Thank you for your response.

I had not been aware of streetprices.com. This is a good site to remember. Do you know if there is a way to check when something goes on sale. That's kind of a stretch. It's probably just a matter of checking back regularly, but thought I would ask. Thank you again.


I have not done so, but it appears that you can create an account and then set up a price alert to notify you.

danpass
Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Oregon City, OR
Contact:

Postby danpass » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:04 am

danpass wrote:The newer model you mention is named Western Digital WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player (WDBABX0000NBK-NESN). It is available from multiple online vendors for $99.00 with free shipping. However, if you plan to purchase one or more of these and your needs aren't immediate, you might consider waiting for it to go on sale. This model could be had for about $75 in November.


If you subscribe to newegg.com's e-Blast, this makes you eligible to use promo code EMCKJHC52 at checkout to get this WD media player for $89.99. The promo code expires 2/2/2011.

wsplawn
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am

Postby wsplawn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:32 am

I was not aware of newegg.com. Thanks for telling me about them. Are they in any way associated with the old EggHead software stores of the 90's? Any other places you like or think it would be helpful to be aware of?

Best Regards

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:25 pm

wsplawn wrote:Are they in any way associated with the old EggHead software stores of the 90's?

Although Newegg sprang up about the same time Egghead was dying off, the companies are entirely different.

There are many discount places around the Internet offering sales on a variety of products an STS might purchase for his stake, but I'm not sure this forum is the best place to compare them all.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

starkjs
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: USA

Postby starkjs » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:04 am

The Church News published an article today on using Western Digital drives for viewing conference: http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/60592/Church-uses-technology-to-send-messages-to-far-corners-of-the-world.html


Return to “In The News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest