tech.lds.org on KSL

Seen something newsworthy about the technology that the Church uses? Let everyone else know by posting here.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Brad O. wrote:Could someone explain to me why this online-Patriarchical blessing idea is exciting and worthwhile? Don't we all have our Patriarchical blessings printed out and safely stored??? How often does someone actually lose a blessing?

I just don't see the value.

Brad O.
While most individuals who value the event would hold onto the blessing, there's occasions, often through no fault of their own, where a blessing has been lost. It would also be exciting to be able to review the blessing given to an ancestor.

The ability to "retrieve" a lost blessing or review one from an ancestor has been available for some time. The church is simply making it more convenient by taking advantage of the technologies available to them.

The news article probably enlarged on the event a little :)
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Brad O. wrote:Could someone explain to me why this online-Patriarchical blessing idea is exciting and worthwhile? Don't we all have our Patriarchical blessings printed out and safely stored??? How often does someone actually lose a blessing?

Brad O.
Yeah, I think it's the ancestor factor that is the most striking. Maybe also the fact that the blessings will be digitized.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Brad O.
Eventually you would be able to look up your great grandfather's blessing. I was in the Church History Library a few months back and I was able to find my great grandfather's blessing as well has my great grandmothers blessing. It was wonderful to read them. Not everyone has access to the Church History library because of their location. So this would be one big benefit.

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

DJC wrote:Tom, can someone contact KSL on this? I hope that they received information through some official channel and didn't just read a thread and assume it is official.
The Church's PR department told us not to do anything.

Tm
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

tomw wrote:The Church's PR department told us not to do anything.

Tm
Can the original article from you guys go back up on the LDS Tech main page? Or has it proven to be a liability this early in the project's lifespan?
brado426

Post by brado426 »

tomw wrote:Eventually you would be able to look up your great grandfather's blessing. I was in the Church History Library a few months back and I was able to find my great grandfather's blessing as well has my great grandmothers blessing. It was wonderful to read them. Not everyone has access to the Church History library because of their location. So this would be one big benefit.

Tom

Ah, I wasn't thinking of ancestors blessings. That would be nice.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

mkmurray wrote:Can the original article from you guys go back up on the LDS Tech main page? Or has it proven to be a liability this early in the project's lifespan?
Not at this time. Sorry.

Tom
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

tomw wrote:Not at this time. Sorry.

Tom
That's too bad, that article really caught my attention, more so than most of the articles posted on LDS Tech's main page (don't get me wrong, I love the articles posted). Apparently, it caught some other attention as well and created a huge miscommunication.
hg4144

Post by hg4144 »

Hello Brad,

That's the bit that gets me -- yes, my blessing is tucked away safe -- but, several thousand miles from where I'm currently living. From England to Southern California if a good distance, and parents just don't always know how to find stuff that you need that are packed away.
Howard from Devon
Enigma1-p40

Post by Enigma1-p40 »

would these be tied into everyone's LDS ACCOUNT info?

Return to “In The News”