New Curriculum for Adults

Seen something newsworthy about the technology that the Church uses? Let everyone else know by posting here.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: New Curriculum for Adults

Post by sbradshaw »

johnshaw wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:There is an app called "Gospel Media" (previously "Presentations") being developed ... for iOS
wow, it is still and iOS only app? I saw that app at Thanksgiving of 2013 If it gets realeased as ios only I'm going to ball up into a fetal position and cry just a bit for my church :)
I imagine it's still in the "experimental" stage that hasn't been tried in the real world. It looks like a great and useful app, but since it hasn't been available or publicized nobody knows if it will meet the needs of teachers. If it may not meet the needs of the worldwide church, then they have to minimize the resources that are going towards it.

Alternatively, maybe it's intended for missionaries, who currently just have iPads.

UPDATE: I found an Android project page here:
https://tech.lds.org/projects?controlle ... jectid=179
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:Well, the advice, after-the-fact when FM was faced with angry mobs of Stake and Ward leaders wondering how their 15-30 year old tv equipment was going to work with the new curriculum :) this is true.
Different issue. That can be fixed with a one-time equipment purchase. I'm having a hard time seeing the church paying the re-occuring fees required for a YouTube-grade infrastructure and Internet services world-wide to support the kind of data transfer needed. All to support a peak need during Sunday School which would only occur 4-5 times a month.

I'm all for making it easy for the teachers, but I'd think that some kind of local storage solution would be more reliable and cost effective. Especially since some times, even YouTube has been a disappointment outside of church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The solution I saw being put together was not a centralized streaming solution, but a solution that synchronized the LDS Media Library content to distribution points inside local meetinghouses. All Media content is downloaded just once (and could be pre-loaded with the bulk of the content creating quick-synch times) This can easily be done through multiple technologies today.

This would mean all streaming would be local to the meetinghouse, something I have experience doing extremely successfully - particularly for those without the ability to download videos from their homes or just didn't have their own equipment to use in a meetinghouse.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “In The News”