Link Excel to membership database

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
longc

Link Excel to membership database

Post by longc »

Are we allowed to link excel to the membership database??

I would like to have a live sheet that would update as the membership clerk makes changes in MLS.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Link Excel to membership database

Post by aebrown »

longc wrote:Are we allowed to link excel to the membership database??

I would like to have a live sheet that would update as the membership clerk makes changes in MLS.
Even if it were allowed (which I doubt it would be), there is no way to do what you suggest.
longc

Post by longc »

All I would need is a read only account name for the database. Then, yes, there is a way. :-)

I use Excel and SQL a lot to do things just like that. It would be MOST handy. :-)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

longc wrote:All I would need is a read only account name for the database. Then, yes, there is a way. :-)

I use Excel and SQL a lot to do things just like that. It would be MOST handy. :-)
Well, I wasn't saying that no such technology could exist. I was only saying that it can't be done now with the membership database. There's no way you will get any kind of access to the Church's membership database granted to you for this or any other purpose. The Church is very concerned about the security of its databases.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Post by pgm44 »

I have a database in excel with all the member-names and record numbers. Sometimes we have on a donation form only a number and via the database in excel its easy to find the member name.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

aebrown wrote:The Church is very concerned about the security of its databases.
You can export MLS data as CVS file but you MUST ensure that that data are kept confidential. Usualy through encryption!

Return to “Links & Resources”