Someone Else's Donation is in My History

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
gregwanderson

Someone Else's Donation is in My History

Post by gregwanderson »

I was just double-checking my online donation history and, presto! There's a new donation from this past Sunday which I did not make. When I click to get the details, it shows me that this donation was done with a check and it tells me which ward processed the payment. Turns out, it's my brother's ward about a half-hour drive away from me. I've never been a member of that ward but I did make an online donation to their missionary fund a couple of years ago.

I'm going to guess that, somehow, my name pops up in their list of donors and they clicked on the wrong name when they processed a ward member's donation. It may have been my brother's donation (I haven't asked him about it yet) or anyone else. But does that happen? I've never made a donation to that ward except online. Could my name still show up in the list of donors on their local, ward software?

So what should I do now? I'm guessing I should first try contacting their ward clerk and ask him to look for any recent donation credited to me. I suppose I could just ask my brother if he made the donation in that amount on that date. But if these steps somehow don't locate the error, is there a number for Church Headquarters that I would call in a case like this?
eblood66

Re: Someone Else's Donation is in My History

Post by eblood66 »

gregwanderson wrote:I'm going to guess that, somehow, my name pops up in their list of donors and they clicked on the wrong name when they processed a ward member's donation. It may have been my brother's donation (I haven't asked him about it yet) or anyone else. But does that happen? I've never made a donation to that ward except online. Could my name still show up in the list of donors on their local, ward software?
Yes, I'm pretty sure that online donors show up. Online donations show up in the local MLS (it used to be that was the only way to make corrections to online donations) so I think the donor records must show up to.
gregwanderson wrote:So what should I do now? I'm guessing I should first try contacting their ward clerk and ask him to look for any recent donation credited to me.
Yes, that would be the most direct thing to do. He should be able to easily find the donation given the date and amount. Once he's found it, correcting the donor should be simple too. Nowadays it can even be done in LCR so there isn't any need to go to the church.

Return to “Online Donations”