Donation currency

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
hartn

Donation currency

Post by hartn »

My son's mission application says I need to pay 285 euro per month but my donations are set to U.S. Dollars. My family is U.S. military living overseas in Italy and my son's mission call was sent through the Italian Stake. The Stake President here confirmed that this is the correct amount but I can't pay in euro. Can I have my donations settings changed to euro? If so I would like my settings changed to euro but would leave my wife's in US dollars so we can continue to pay tithing and offerings in U.S. dollars.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Donation currency

Post by russellhltn »

There's a bigger problem. Currently all on-line donations must stay within the same country. So someone in the US can't finance a mission whose finances are being handled in Europe. As a military person stationed overseas, you can use the US system as long as it draws against a US bank. But you're not going to be able to pay into a European missionary fund.

I don't think Europe has on-line donations yet, so you can't change to their system.

I think you're going to have to find another way of paying for the mission besides the on-line system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hartn

Post by hartn »

We have no problem accessing his missionary account and/or entering a payment. The system will allow us to finance his mission from our US Bank account even though he is being handled by a European Stake. The only problem is the currency. If we can't change the currency deposited then should we just use a currency exchange calculator and enter the amount in dollars each month? I wanted to avoid this as the currency rates change every day.

Thank you for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hartn wrote:The system will allow us to finance his mission from our US Bank account even though he is being handled by a European Stake. The only problem is the currency..
Ok, that's a new one on me. I'd suggest emailing to donations@ldschurch.org. This forum is primarily user-to-user assistance. I don't think this is something we've seen before.

You might be stuck having to do a conversion. I don't think you have to get the amount exact. Any overage will still be there. As long as you can check with the ward and make sure the balance isn't getting out of hand (not going into the red and not getting too far ahead), things should be OK.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hartn

Post by hartn »

Ok. Thank you for the information. I appreciate the advice.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

hartn wrote:We have no problem accessing his missionary account and/or entering a payment. The system will allow us to finance his mission from our US Bank account even though he is being handled by a European Stake.
Then this is probably the best way to do it. As russellhltn said, close is good enough. Although you will have to look up the rate each time you donate, your ward clerk will be able to tell you how much actually made it into the missionary fund. (Your bank may tell you, as well).

You will be able to make adjustments as needed to catch up a few Euros as necessary, or back off a little when the exchange rate moves to your advantage. And your clerk will probably feel a little less nervous if you stay slightly ahead, so that there are funds in the ward missionary account when the ward needs to send them to the Church missionary fund and on to the mission.

And blessings to you that your son is able to serve and that you are able to assist him.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Generally, as long as the account is/stays in the black and the final result is zero, the clerk is happy. Don't get too far ahead. Something may happen and the mission has to be cut short (health or accidents). That creates issues since the general policy is no refunds.

Return to “Online Donations”