Donations through Fidelity Charitable Giving Fund

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
caroleeaw

Donations through Fidelity Charitable Giving Fund

Post by caroleeaw »

Last year my husband and I opened a Charitable Giving Fund through Fidelity where we donate to that fund (that generates the tax deductible event) and from there we make grants to organizations. Last year we paid our tithing through that fund to the church and it didn't link up with my husband's membership record as it would if we were paying directly from a bank account (as we have in the past). We don't need the verification that we are paying tithing for tax records, as that comes from Fidelity, but it might be nice for the church to know that we are paying our tithing. How can we link that donation up with a membership record number?
wareham

Re: Donations through Fidelity Charitable Giving Fund

Post by wareham »

When I donated shares in the past through the In-kind Office, there was no tithing indication shown and, as far as I know, no link between my donation and my local ward. As with you, the transaction didn't show up on my year-end statement of donations. That didn't matter for tax purposes due to the receipt of the donation from my mutual fund and from the Church.

As far as the Church knowing you paid tithing, that is accomplished in tithing settlement when you declare your tithing status to your bishop. As a former bishop, there were many times where the local records showed $0 but the member declared to me a full tithe status. Usually, it was with in-kind donations. Also, when using the bill pay option from your bank (before the lds.org online donation function) the donation didn't show up on the ward's records but did on the year-end statement I received directly from the Church.

As an aside, the dollar amounts shown on the local records never really mattered to me; it was all about the member's declaration of their status. My parents, however, had a bishop that was really bothered that he couldn't see a donation amount.
paulworthensheets

Post by paulworthensheets »

Do you just donate to the Corporation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from fidelity? I noticed that a lot of wards or stakes have been set up.
caroleeaw

Post by caroleeaw »

Neither our ward nor stake had set up accounts. For my fast offering donation, I referenced my ward and stake in the notes in case it mattered. But when I went to tithing settlement our bishop said it really didn't matter because our ward wasn't using the fast offerings they received so they went to the general church fund anyway. So I won't worry about it, the bishop took our declaration and it didn't matter to him that he didn't have any documentation that we were paying our tithing. It's nice to be trusted!
nobleinrussia

Post by nobleinrussia »

I would like to set up donations (Tithing, Fast Offerings, Humanitarian, and Missionary) to go directly from my IRA to the Church. How do I do this, and how do I spit the donations to go the 4 directions I mentioned. My brokerage house can send a lump sum, but I am not sure how to divide the funds into these 4 different donation groups.

[Personal information removed - this is a public forum]
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

You will be able to do this through LDS Philanthropies. Specific instructions on how to set it up are at this page.
hdangl

Post by hdangl »

I am doing my taxes for 2023 and cannot find the tithing donation receipt I gave through Fidelity Charitable accounts, and need a copy right away. my member number is [personal details removed]
Last edited by russellhltn on Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal information as this forum is public.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

hdangl wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am I am doing my taxes for 2023 and cannot find the tithing donation receipt I gave through Fidelity Charitable accounts, and need a copy right away. my member number is [personal details removed]
No one here can provide this for you. This is a peer to peer discussion group.

Please contact Church headquarters directly to obtain the document you need.
caroleeaw

Post by caroleeaw »

hdangl wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am I am doing my taxes for 2023 and cannot find the tithing donation receipt I gave through Fidelity Charitable accounts, and need a copy right away. my member number is [personal details removed]
Replying to hdangi, you don’t need a receipt for your donation to the church through Fidelity charitable because your taxable event for a charitable donation happened when you contributed to your donor advised Fidelity Charitable account. You don’t need to itemize who the funds eventually went to and you can’t claim it twice as a donation anyway,
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

caroleeaw wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am Replying to hdangi, you don’t need a receipt for your donation to the church through Fidelity charitable because your taxable event for a charitable donation happened when you contributed to your donor advised Fidelity Charitable account. You don’t need to itemize who the funds eventually went to and you can’t claim it twice as a donation anyway,
That's not the impression I get when reading 2023 Instructions for Schedule A page A-10, "Gifts of $250 or more" as well as "Line 11".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Online Donations”